Son wants Chickens

ssramage

Looking at a coop similar to this one. Nesting box is too high, thoughts otherwise? Also it’s built to order so if you were going to design the coop, how would you lay it out?

Attachments

• 460CF423-79CF-441A-886C-431D66E8B21F.jpg
    460CF423-79CF-441A-886C-431D66E8B21F.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 240

Cmp1

BANNED
I know one, possibly two of ours that were killed and beheaded by a male great horned owl. The rest were taken by the red foxes. I really think the gray foxes were "collateral" damage.

But, come to a predator call out by The Lady`s chicken pen right now and you`ll collect a 22 longrifle solid in the head.

Have only seen a few red fox around here,,,, lots of yotes though,,,, it's amazing how our dog knows when the Eagles are around,,,,

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Have only seen a few red fox around here,,,, lots of yotes though,,,, it's amazing how our dog knows when the Eagles are around,,,,

Red foxes don`t fare well around other canine predators much. They get caught and killed by coyotes, wolves, and Bartram`s wolves. Gray foxes can climb like a squirrel so they have a chance to escape.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll take a look at Cackle. I ran the prices for 6 birds from McMurray last night and it was $350 after shipping!!!:eek:

I may be trying to find some locally.

Tractor Supply will have chicks starting very soon and they are at a economical price.

Water Swat

Ive got a 5x10 dog kennel. Tin laid across top to keep em dry. A couple 2x2,s stuck across the fencing panels for roosts and 2 nesting boxes nailed to a post. Works fine and simple

PappyHoel

I did chickens for 5 years. You can read my posts about it on here. I'm glad the last one was carried off into the night never to be seen again.

All of mine had names therefore they were off limits to eat. I would have and I would have rotated them out. They stopped laying after about 4 years. The feed was cheap I only supplementally fed them since they were free range. They were all very healthy.

With that said, they pooped all over the drive way under my deck and you couldn't keep mulch in the flower beds. I would mow and fix the mulch and the chickens would be right behind kicking it out.

I'm looking forward to not pressure washing my deck, sidewalk and driveway this summer.

I would get and keep more if it was under my terms. I disagreed with naming them and not eating them. They're worthless to me otherwise. I started with 14, 1 rooster who was quickly dispatched after he attacked me.

RUTTNBUCK

Gone But Not Forgotten
I did chickens for 5 years. You can read my posts about it on here. I'm glad the last one was carried off into the night never to be seen again.

All of mine had names therefore they were off limits to eat. I would have and I would have rotated them out. They stopped laying after about 4 years. The feed was cheap I only supplementally fed them since they were free range. They were all very healthy.

With that said, they pooped all over the drive way under my deck and you couldn't keep mulch in the flower beds. I would mow and fix the mulch and the chickens would be right behind kicking it out.

I'm looking forward to not pressure washing my deck, sidewalk and driveway this summer.

I would get and keep more if it was under my terms. I disagreed with naming them and not eating them. They're worthless to me otherwise. I started with 14, 1 rooster who was quickly dispatched after he attacked me.
Just cause they have names don't mean you can't eat them!!

My In-Laws acquired two Black Angus calves...........My wife named them..........."Tender"........and........."Tasty"

They were in fact tender, and tasty!!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Cmp1

BANNED

This is all true,,,, we have 4 that we let free range,,,, good fertilizer though,,,, keeps the bugs down also,,,,

j_seph

Our secretary at work has 5 or so chickens. When she leaves in the mornings she opens the door and they free roam the yard and woods. In the evening they all come back to the coop and she shuts the door. I believe that she has only had 1 or 2 over the last 6 years or so that got killed and one was neighbors dog and the other had made a nest and started sitting.

PappyHoel

Our secretary at work has 5 or so chickens. When she leaves in the mornings she opens the door and they free roam the yard and woods. In the evening they all come back to the coop and she shuts the door. I believe that she has only had 1 or 2 over the last 6 years or so that got killed and one was neighbors dog and the other had made a nest and started sitting.

That's how mine operated, they would follow me around the yard like a gaggle.

breathe in

We've got predators,,,, but we also have a door on our coop,,,, nothing gonna get in there,,,, it's just been so cold they've stopped laying,,,, tried the light thing,,,, no luck,,,, it's the temps up here,,,, come spring,,,, back to around 8 to 10 per day,,,, 12 birds,,,,

Would also like to say,,,, make sure that you wash the eggs and your hands after handling them,,,, our birds lay the biggest eggs,,,, and good,,,,

I don't have chickens but was told by an old lady that does, if you don't wash the eggs you need not refidgerate and can leave them on the counter for a cpl weeks and they'll be fine? Washing also affects taste?

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I don't have chickens but was told by an old lady that does, if you don't wash the eggs you need not refidgerate and can leave them on the counter for a cpl weeks and they'll be fine? Washing also affects taste?

That`s true. Some countries don`t wash their eggs for this reason.

Some folks think you need a rooster to have eggs too. You don`t. A rooster will keep order amongst the hens, but with no rooster around an older hen will generally do the same.

PappyHoel

True we always left ours on the counter. The factories wash the coating off the egg which helps preserve them. That's why store bought should be refrigerated.

Cmp1

BANNED

It's more about the chances of disease,,,,

Cmp1

BANNED
That`s true. Some countries don`t wash their eggs for this reason.

Some folks think you need a rooster to have eggs too. You don`t. A rooster will keep order amongst the hens, but with no rooster around an older hen will generally do the same.

This right here is definitely true,,,,