sort of on target

splatek

UAEC
Been crossbow hunting, because 1) I have a crossbow. Actually there is no 2, I have a crossbow that shoots accurately. I've only used it on one kill, because I've only ever killed one deer in my life.

Bowhunting with a vertical bow has its appeals and I have been thinking that maybe on some public land carrying a vert bow would be easier than carrying my god awful 10# crossbow, along with the rest of the stuff I need, like a climber. Well I have practiced shooting for about a year, but I was amazed after having this old Diamond archery bow tuned and fitted to me.

Twenty Yards Standing
IMG_0693.jpg

Twenty Yards Seated from a blind seat
IMG_0696.jpg

Slowly, but surely, I am getting there. I think.... Who knows what would happen if that deer was alive and my heart was pounding out of my chest!

By the way, observe the learning curve of missed hits all over this target - while many of those come from my 9 year old shooting his recurve, I can't lie and say that a decent proportion of those holes in the neck, butt, spine, etc are from me...

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
That's really good shooting!

splatek

UAEC
That's really good shooting!

Thanks man.
I was SHOCKED at how much more accurate the bow was after being setup properly by patrick at the Outdoor Depot. And this ain't a high dollar bow, it was free, given to me, but even when it was new in 2015, it was only 2-300$

I guess practice practice practice is what's on the agenda.

ddd-shooter

A great pro does wonders for technique! Great shooting!

Also, practice at longer yardages if you can, it makes the 20s easier!
I’d say you’re ready to take it afield! Good luck!

Nitram4891

Flop Thief
Thanks man.
I was SHOCKED at how much more accurate the bow was after being setup properly by patrick at the Outdoor Depot. And this ain't a high dollar bow, it was free, given to me, but even when it was new in 2015, it was only 2-300$

I guess practice practice practice is what's on the agenda.

I shoot a diamond as well. It flings arrows where I aim it.

splatek

UAEC
I shoot a diamond as well. It flings arrows where I aim it.

Yeah I am ok with it: The diamond bow and my bear crossbow were both a great deal: Free! Seriously, gifts from my GFs mother that she wasn't going to use. I am happy it's shooting well and spitting arrows where they need to be. I am hoping to try and get on a deer this weekend with it, unless I chicken out and decide to use my xbow again. haha

Seems like a decent bow; it's a lower level model called the provider. i am not a fan of the baby blue trim, but not so much that it's going to cause me to go drop a few hundred on a new bow...

splatek

UAEC
A great pro does wonders for technique! Great shooting!

Also, practice at longer yardages if you can, it makes the 20s easier!
I’d say you’re ready to take it afield! Good luck!

DDD - that's great advice. I re-rigged my setup to the back yard and started shooting at 10, 20, 25, 30, and 35. I've also been trying to practice standing, sitting, kneeling, with obstructions, through smoke from the small fire, dim light, bright light, etc. Just trying to practice practice practice.

Thirty yards slight elevation

IMG_0708.jpg

baddave

steve, i believe you're ready for tournaments. that's better than i shoot .. i will say , and you already know (being a big killer and all):).. shooting a bow and putting a deer on his buttocks is 2 different things..we're proud of ya bro:cheers:

splatek

UAEC
steve, i believe you're ready for tournaments. that's better than i shoot .. i will say , and you already know (being a big killer and all):).. shooting a bow and putting a deer on his buttocks is 2 different things..we're proud of ya bro:cheers:

Thanks Dave.
Sometimes ya need to hear that... I have been working hard to learn this sport, to learn the animals. I've been putting the hours in reading and studying when I can't be in the woods and burning boot leather when I can be in the woods. And I've also been pestering just about every ear that'll listen to me ask a million and one questions about deer, their habits and habitats, etc etc. One thing I've come to learn after my recent encounter with a few stud public land bucks, is that those big fellas might as well be a different species of animal. I would very much like to get on some antlers, but right now I am also pleased filling the freezer.
Thanks again

baddave

you learn fast . the big bucks are definitely a different game.. call me sometime:)

Latest posts