South Carolina wants restrictions on spadefish harvest

lampern

(Word version) -- Senator Campsen: A BILL TO AMEND SECTION 50-5-1705 OF THE 1976 CODE, RELATING TO CATCH LIMITS FOR ESTUARINE AND SALTWATER FINFISH, TO PROVIDE THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR A PERSON TO TAKE OR HAVE IN POSSESSION MORE THAN TEN SPADEFISH IN ANY ONE DAY, NOT TO EXCEED THIRTY SPADEFISH IN ANY ONE DAY ON ANY BOAT; AND TO AMEND SECTION 50-5-1710(B) OF THE 1976 CODE, RELATING TO SIZE LIMITS FOR ESTUARINE AND SALTWATER FINFISH, TO PROVIDE THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL TO TAKE, POSSESS, LAND, SELL, PURCHASE, OR ATTEMPT TO SELL OR PURCHASE SPADEFISH OF LESS THAN FOURTEEN INCHES IN TOTAL LENGTH.

Who eats spadefish (anglefish)?

I just throw them back if I catch one.

Are they good to eat? I've been told no.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
More folks than you know. They`re not a bad fish to eat. Much better than storebought sewer fish from Asia. You`re too young to remember, but people used to throw back triggerfish because everybody said they weren`t fit to eat either. But if you ordered "ocean perch" in the restaurant or bought it at the fish house, that`s what you were getting. Mostly only the commercial fishermen knew about them.

Blackston

Sewer fish ? === Tilapia!!!

Big7

The Oracle
Quick Bing says a lot of folks have a recipe for them
Also a lot posted that they are often confused with an Angle Fish. I've never caught or ate a Spadefish but I would eat one if I had a chance.

Big7

The Oracle
Trigger fish taste GREAT! So does barracuda! They call is saber tooth snapper!

Yes. Both Trigger Fish or small Cuda' are good eating. A big Cuda' starts to get nasty.

Bream Pole

great fight and to me very good to eat. first ones I ever caught were in South Carolia on Pawley's island in the 60's