South Georgia and Archery on WMAs Questions

joshb311

I have some questions for the WMA bowhunters out there. Specifically the folks who hunt or have hunted Bullard Creek, Moody Forest and Big Hammock.

First question is in regards to the archery only areas. Are these areas open for the entire season, or are they restricted to certain available dates like the firearms areas?

Second question. I was reading the Hunting Regulations publication for this year and am a little confused. Is Moody Forest off limits to bowhunters altogether? I didn't see any mention of archery in the info in the publication.

Final question. Under Bullard Creek, I see that the Montgomery county tract is quality buck only. The guide then says:
No firearms deer hunting within designated archery-only areas (Montgomery County, Ocmulgee and Towns Bluff Tracts) but legal firearms permitted for turkey and small game hunting.

Does that mean that Montgomery, Ocmulgee and Towns Bluff are all archery only? Just wanted to be sure I'm understanding it correctly.

JBranch

I know big hammock archery areai is open all year. Moody has a general hunt, open to all weapons. It is a natural area ( walk in only ). Not too sure about Bullard.....

joshb311

I know big hammock archery areai is open all year. Moody has a general hunt, open to all weapons. It is a natural area ( walk in only ). Not too sure about Bullard.....

Good deal. Thanks for letting me know. Figured I'd give Big Hammock a go tomorrow. Fighting the urge to pick up the rifle this year.

QuackHead90

Ocmulgee has 2 archery only areas one is the west lake tract and the other is gum swamp

robert carter

Bullard has an archery area that is open all season on the jeff davis side of the river . The towns tract around the buildings is only open when there is a scheduled hunt or during archery season. Big Hammock is the best of the two in my opinion.
Moody is an all weapons hunt and will be thick with people.Locals hammer it. Can`t blame them its good. If You gotta boat thats the way to go.

joshb311

Ocmulgee has 2 archery only areas one is the west lake tract and the other is gum swamp

I wasn't actually referring to the Ocmulgee WMA area, just a tract that is part of Bullard Creek WMA that is called Ocmulgee. Sorry for the confusion. I do appreciate the input, though. Will keep that in mind if I'm in that neck of the woods.

bowboy1989

Big hammock arches only areA is no longer archery only makes me sick. Yes this true talk with DNR about it. It's open on regular hunt dates now

joshb311

Big hammock arches only areA is no longer archery only makes me sick. Yes this true talk with DNR about it. It's open on regular hunt dates now

Man, that sounds like a sketchy situation. Someone shows up at the old archery only area without his safety orange and eases into the woods to make their set. Meanwhile, just up the road, Jim Joe enters the woods with his rifle, entering the newly acquired rifle area. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.

I don't get the DNR changes lately. :crazy: