South Georgia food plot tips

Thread starter #1
I hunt on a 110 acre tract in Grady county mostly pines but some hardwood with a cotton field smack dab in the middle during season I didn’t have time to do a food plot before season so I just hunted over a corn feeder my question is with spring coming what would be a good plots to plant i wanna do 5 or 6 1/10 acre plots In parchually shaded spots throughout the pines, or mabey even something I can throw out after cotton is picked in main field

antharper

I’d check with farmer first, some times a lot of weeds come up out of our food plot seed , but I’ve done it in cotton fields and had very good success with just spreading wheat in the cotton before they defoliate , some others will give u some good info in planting in pines in shade, as I’ve not had very good luck

Mark K

I’d probably check and see what the farmer is planting next year. If it’s corn or peanuts then you’re set.
If the pines are open then you probably have a lot of natural browse. I’m sure the hardwoods produce something edible as well.

shdw633

Test your soil now to find out what it needs and apply accordingly, then Alyce clover/millet mix in the spring and pennington rackmaster in the fall. That's what I would start with. Start putting down ag lime now, as per test results, for the spring and then hit the soil with some dolomite lime and fertilizer when you break ground.

Summer food plots in South Georgia is a hard nut to crack. Heat and drought kill most of them before they produce. Summer provides plenty of natural food in the form of browse. A rain drop in the ocean is the best analogy I've heard.

I would save my money. Use it to lime and prep a couple of small prime spots for fall/winter plots to bring them in when natural food sources diminish.

Additionally, small plots can work but... 1/10 of an acre can get eaten to the ground by a couple of does in one night (summer or fall). You may have trouble seeing any meaningful activity in plots that small. Not trying to discourage you but I've wasted a bunch of time and money myself and not seen any return from a setup similar to this.

Sometimes a corn feeder is actually better than a food plot in terms of money/time invested and results achieved.

If you are dead set on summer planting I've had good success with a sunn hemp and iron clay pea mix. Sunn hemp isn't cheap but it grows great and doesn't need a lot of soil conditioning to thrive.

shdw633

Due to the size of his plots is the reason I recommended Alyce and millet. The millet grows quickly and the deer basically ignore it until it matures providing shade and cover for the clover. When the millet reaches maturity in three months, the deer will start to eat it and the alyce grows will be at a height that can handle the over browsing. Rackmaster will be eaten to the ground but has enough in it to continue to grow even during heavy browsing.