southern words

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
In some of this your just being plum ugly.

Ugly as in misbehaving.

Hooty Hoot

Gone but not forgotten
lollygagger. My wife is a lolly gagger. She's been caught lolly gaggin.

Nary.
Kill any skwerlls? Nary a one.

ugajay

Shucked and shelled corn many times we had an old corn sheller, that thing worked great but it was old even back in the fifties..We had Cat's for the rats on the farm, they kept them in check..Sometimes Grandpa would organize a Rabbit hunt with some of the men in our neighborhood during hunting season, everyone used a stick instead of a gun to try and kill the Rabbit.. The men surrounded a thicket along a ditch bank or a brier bed and sent a Dog in to jump the Cottontail..When it ran out the man closest to it tried to injure or kill it with his stick..Never saw anyone else do that except Grandpa and his friends..Oh yes we gun hunted them also, old Joe our farm Dog was a great hunter.. The men didn't kill a Rabbit very often with the sticks, they did it just for fun and after the hunt was over I have seen them build a fire and sit around it and talk by the edge of the woods..

Ever heard the saying "high as a Georgia Pine" ? My Grandma used it often when someone came to our house under the influence. Grandma didn't tolerate drunks very often and once the man left she would say Herman, that man was high as a Georgia Pine..

Grandpa planted watermelons each year..His favorite variety was the "Georgia Rattlesnake" as he called them...They were a large watermelon with streaks down them almost like a Snake..Those melons were very good eating..

Pulling fodder and bundling it up, yep we did that too for the Mules to eat..I still miss those bygone days and family and friends who have long ago passed this life..
Redbow, I've been trying to find some Georgia rattlesnake seeds for a long time. Can barely find it mentioned on the internet. My great papa always planted them and they were huge.

ugajay

My freshman year of college, had a professor ask me if I planned on majoring in history. I replied, "not patickly." He said, "what in the world is a patickly?" I had to explain I meant not particularly.

Papa used to tell us youngins to play perty. Meaning y'all be nice

If you asked him how he was doing he would reply, "I'll pass is if I go by in a hurry."