southern words

baddave

i know foxworthy used to do this routine and we've always thought it was funny -- how about you guys . got any . my wife says "skood" . i fixed her a steak the other night and asked her how it was and she said its "skood":)

sinclair1

I will watch this thread. It might make it easier next time I go to N. Ga.
I ordered a fla urn steak that was good, but had me worried for a minute. :rofl:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One you generally only hear in the southern Appalachians is "you'uns" instead of "y'all." And if you weren't born here, you'll never be able to say it right.

Other mountain words: wasper, si-gogglin (crooked,) holp for help, etc.

One word that I have done a good bit of research, and have found that is universally and uniquely southern, is "stob." If you can define the word "stob," you are southern. If not, you are from somewhere else, or maybe you are a urban southerner.

Professor

holpen (archaic form of helped)
Kindly (kindly up against the fence)
directly
ooops1 mentioned over yonder but also upar (up there)
bairn (new born)
afeard
Chifforobe
close press (which is a chiffarobe for linens)
bed clothes (sheets, blankets etc. my son says I made this up)

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Met a guy from Mi at a training several years ago. Good guy. He got the biggest kick out of how we talked. He'd call his wife & tell her when we said something new. ??

Cmp1

BANNED
Met a guy from Mi at a training several years ago. Good guy. He got the biggest kick out of how we talked. He'd call his wife & tell her when we said something new. ??
I'm the opposite,,,,from me being in the South,and married to a NC gal,I picked up the dialect,,,,

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed when I was in NC,,,,the dialect was different between eastern NC and western NC,,,,
Very, very different. Eastern NC has the deep south "cracker" dialect, with no rs on the ends of words, much like what we think of as a black accent. Western NC has a slow, drawled dialect, with extra rs added, that is mostly holdover Elizabethan English.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
stob - a small stump or broken part on a limb that is certain to inflict life altering injury if fallen upon.

That stob?
Yep. A stake driven in the ground, or something sticking out of the ground. I've never met anyone from outside the south who knew what it was.