Spastic Tail Waging

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
I have seen some does in the last few months twitching their tails extremely rapidly in what looks like a uncontrollable, uncomfortable spastic movement that lasts for about 20 minutes at a time. I do not think it is a warning to other deer. It almost looks like they are trying to swat flies? I am just wondering if anyone can give an explanation for this seemingly abnormal behavior?

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
Mosquitoes and flies will have them swatting their tails frequently, especially when they're really bad out there. If you're seeing more than one deer doing this, that's probably what they're doing. I have seen them doing this many times, even hop and run around trying to escape the pests. If the mosquitoes and flies aren't bad, then the may hear some music off in the distance they're rocking too. :bounce:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I agree with silver britches, it’s probably mosquitoes , have u tried to sit in the woods this year without a thermacell or spray , they are awful

rosewood

I agree with silver britches, it’s probably mosquitoes , have u tried to sit in the woods this year without a thermacell or spray , they are awful

What mosquitoes? I have been taking a teaspoon of cider vinegar every morning since last season and I never see any mosquitoes. Never even broke out the Thermacell last season or this year. I am serious, I see others swatting and the skeeters seem to steer clear of me.

You guys should really give it a try. I wasn't a believer before I tried it.

Rosewood

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
What mosquitoes? I have been taking a teaspoon of cider vinegar every morning since last season and I never see any mosquitoes. Never even broke out the Thermacell last season or this year. I am serious, I see others swatting and the skeeters seem to steer clear of me.

Rosewood
I hate vinegar but may give it a try , how long after u started drinking it did it take to work

rosewood

I hate vinegar but may give it a try , how long after u started drinking it did it take to work
I can't say for sure, but seemed within a day or two. I was skeptical even after, kept thinking maybe the skeeters just were not out, but after being around others over the last year where they were being bitten and I wasn't, I am now a believer.

I like vinegar myself, just chase it with a mouthful of water so it doesn't burn going down. A co-worker discovered a pill version that he says is working for him, you might want to check on that.

I also it seems to help prevent gas if you take some before eating beans. :)

I have gotten in the habit if I am going hunting in the evening, I top it off by taking another teaspoon for good measures.

Rosewood

j_seph

Rosewood
AHAHAHA
Place a tub of vinegar next to your corn, soon as the deer learn to sip it to keep them away then you will have the best bait station in the county

rosewood