Speaking of Birds

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
IMG_20140416_114138_222~2-1.jpg

Anybody know what this one could be? Not a bluebird or a blue jay.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
BTW, I almost forgot...
Best wishes on your recovery, Mr Gary...

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
I just recently got rid of 3 bird feeders. I didn't mind spending the $ for the show but got sick of shooting dang squirrels off of em. Only feeding hummingbirds and goldfinches at the moment.

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
The Gold Finches are here in great numbers. Going to miss them this winter.
Question, have you ever been nose to nose with a hummingbird??
Since they sliced up my hip, been spending a lot of time on the deck next to the Hummers. Had one this PM, come up and get right in my face. Would love to try to hand feed one. Heard of people doing it. But, I don't know how.
Just keepin the thread alive guys.
Gary
My brothers exwife would take a red top from a 2 liter bottle,put sugar water in it and stand still next to the feeder and they'd drink out of it. Had some video at one time.

LTZ25

I also love watching the birds and squirrels from my recliner on the back porch , I buy sunflower seed 50 lbs at a time from tractor supply .

trout maharishi

Maybe you know the name of the bird that will go down a tree head first,,,,has some blue on it,,,,couldn't find it in our Nat Geo bird book,,,,
Nuthatches will go down a tree head first. Maybe a brown headed Nuthatch.

Last edited:

swamp hunter

Sit out next to your Feeder with a brite colored hat on and the Hummingbirds will dive bomb your head all day.
Use to fish Valciedo Lake in Durango Colorado and you could not sit outside with a flower colored hat on.. they'd drive you crazy.

Gary Mercer

Something is going on with the Hummers at my house. Last week, we had maybe 5 or 6. This morning on the deck we probably had 10-15. Do you think we are starting to see migrating birds heading the other way. Seems pretty early, but who knows.
Also, my Goldfinches are still in full color, but the Black Gum out back is turning color and shedding leaves.
Since giving up hunting, I hate winter.
Gary

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe you know the name of the bird that will go down a tree head first,,,,has some blue on it,,,,couldn't find it in our Nat Geo bird book,,,,
White-breasted nuthatch.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Something is going on with the Hummers at my house. Last week, we had maybe 5 or 6. This morning on the deck we probably had 10-15. Do you think we are starting to see migrating birds heading the other way. Seems pretty early, but who knows.
Also, my Goldfinches are still in full color, but the Black Gum out back is turning color and shedding leaves.
Since giving up hunting, I hate winter.
Gary

That black gum is what I generally go by, Mr. Gary.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
White-breasted nuthatch.
Oops, saw that it had already been answered, sorry.

I love feeding the birds, but I only feed in the winter. I start my feeders up in early November when I go out into the yard and the birds start following me around cheeping at me. :) I quit about early April when the brown-headed cowbirds and starlings show up and start cleaning the feeder out in an hour.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Over the years, I have been quite successful at socially engineering out the starlings and cowbirds from my backyard feeders. Very, very few now..
Gackles are also on the bad bird list.
I have socially engineered them too. It involves compressed air.

Gary Mercer

Well I know all you hunters are excited to see Fall coming, but it is also a time of regret.
I only have two hummers left. I'm not sure if these little ladies are going to leave for Costa Rico or not. I'll keep the bottles full until they decide to migrate, or maybe winter over.
The Goldfinches are almost "grey finches" again. Still here, but miss that flash of color.
The big dead pine in the side yard fell part way over on Saturday nite. So, it had to come down. Several birds and critters are going to miss that old tree.
Haven't seen the cranes heading south yet, but that's next.
Saw some small ducks on Lake Mac the other day, seems a little early for them.
But it is what it is.
Gary

oldways

Yes Sir all my hummer's are gone I took up my feeders because of the yellowjackets. I saw some blue wing teals on the lake the other day and the tuffed titmouse's picking up peanuts in the yard. I think fall is around the corner Ill start hanging a few extra feeders out..

Tom W.

My wife's daughter works at Cornell University in the ornithology department. She spends a lot of time touring the country and giving lectures, and has either authored or Co-authored several papers. I'll send her a
picture , description and any questions and the whole department will get in on the answer!

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Well I know all you hunters are excited to see Fall coming, but it is also a time of regret.
I only have two hummers left. I'm not sure if these little ladies are going to leave for Costa Rico or not. I'll keep the bottles full until they decide to migrate, or maybe winter over.
The Goldfinches are almost "grey finches" again. Still here, but miss that flash of color.
The big dead pine in the side yard fell part way over on Saturday nite. So, it had to come down. Several birds and critters are going to miss that old tree.
Haven't seen the cranes heading south yet, but that's next.
Saw some small ducks on Lake Mac the other day, seems a little early for them.
But it is what it is.
Gary

Good to see you old fella