Speaking of divorces

Jody Hawk

I was reading my Bible last night and read about marriage in 1 Corinthians. Explain how you take what Paul is saying in these verses? I have to work today but look forward to reading your replies when I get home tonight.

1 Corinthians 7: 12,13 & 15

12 But the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

Last edited:

Dudley Do-Wrong

Jody, I believe Paul is first saying that he is speaking with apostolic authority. I believe the rest of verse 12 and verse 13 speak for themselves. Probably, the catch here is verse 15 where is says they are no longer under bondage. Some believe that this is authority for them to remarry after divorce, some believe that it means that they are no longer in a "submissive state" (Eph 5:21) to one another. In order to "balance" this, it has to be "reconciled" with other Scripture.

SBG

David Mills said:
Jody, I believe Paul is first saying that he is speaking with apostolic authority. I believe the rest of verse 12 and verse 13 speak for themselves. Probably, the catch here is verse 15 where is says they are no longer under bondage. Some believe that this is authority for them to remarry after divorce, some believe that it means that they are no longer in a "submissive state" (Eph 5:21) to one another. In order to "balance" this, it has to be "reconciled" with other Scripture.

Good points David.

I believe that verse 15 is the pivotal one of the passage. It is practical instruction from Paul to previously lost persons in how they should live their everyday Christian lives.

When two unconverted people were married, and then one becomes a believer, the other was instructed that they weren't compelled to divorce the other because of their lack of belief. God, in His love for all men, led Paul to give this instruction so that another soul may be saved through the testimony of the believing spouse.

CAL

God, in His love for all men, led Paul to give this instruction so that another soul may be saved through the testimony of the believing spouse.[/QUOTE]

Good points all,I especially agree with the quote.