Species?

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.

little rascal

Oh just know you can shoot one of anything, then after daylight you have to know what's what! LOL

across the river

Lol, apperciate the advice, thought i had seen threads along the same lines on forum before ?, guess not. More than one shooter.

You have, but those have typically been for scoter, old squaw, a ross goose, or some other duck that isn't at all common in Georgia. They weren't for easily identified ducks readily killed in the state that one should be able to identify before they even go hunting.

kevbo3333

You have, but those have typically been for scoter, old squaw, a ross goose, or some other duck that isn't at all common in Georgia. They weren't for easily identified ducks readily killed in the state that one should be able to identify before they even go hunting.
You forgot everything is a hybrid these days :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

leroy

Well this was first redhead ive ever seen hunting, but i ordered the book and promise not to step foot on another duck hunt till i have it memorized ?? and promise to never ask for help on gon waterfowl forum again ??.

across the river

Well this was first redhead ive ever seen hunting, but i ordered the book and promise not to step foot on another duck hunt till i have it memorized ?? and promise to never ask for help on gon waterfowl forum again ??.

It makes no difference to me, but if you kill three and you are by yourself, try to convince the game warden that one of them is a canvasback. I've met several of them whose duck identification skills are on par with your's, so they may actually believe you. Just hope he doesn't have that book with him, because I have seen a few that carried it.

rnelson5

It makes no difference to me, but if you kill three and you are by yourself, try to convince the game warden that one of them is a canvasback. I've met several of them whose duck identification skills are on par with your's, so they may actually believe you. Just hope he doesn't have that book with him, because I have seen a few that carried it.
I know a guy who convinced a GW in LA that a hen pintail was a gadwall before.... That’s a true story by the way.

BaldofPate

I met a Mr. green jeans about 5-6 years ago at a altamaha quota hunt that swore up and down a pintail hen was a gadwall. It didn't make a difference on our harvest limits, but it was comical.

across the river

I met a Mr. green jeans about 5-6 years ago at a altamaha quota hunt that swore up and down a pintail hen was a gadwall. It didn't make a difference on our harvest limits, but it was comical.

You would think if you were enforcing some laws you would take the time to know what you are supposed to be enforcing, but I have it happen on more than one occasion.

One check me and a couple of guys years ago that I actually knew really well. We had a mixed bag limit that hunt, and he asked me what all of them were. He told me he didn't have a clue what any of them were other than a mallard and wood duck, so he just made sure people didn't have over six.

Had more than one check me and pull out the lemaster book. One argued five minutes once that a hen read head was a ringneck, which I someone get the confusion there, but it made no difference from a legality standpoint, so I didn't understand why he had to convince me otherwise when we had some smaller ringneck hens there for comparison.

Went to the Butler hunt years ago, and some kids from ABAC were there asking if they could cut the wings off of the birds for some research project. They cut the one wing off of all of the birds, and I told them they cut have both off of them if they wanted. They said they had started cutting both off for other people, but one of the game wardens told him they cut only cut off one and pointed to a guy standing off to the side. I walked over and asked him about it, and he said we had to leave one wing on to identify to bird. I told him that as long as the head and bill was on they could take both wings because the bird could still be identified by the head and bill. He wanted to argue and be a so and so about it, so I just gave them the one wing and headed out. I told him to look it up when he got home and he just game me a smirk. I'm sure he didn't.

It can be comical no doubt.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Had a buddy get a ticket for a pintail hen per the warden that was actually a gadwall hen. Took pics of warden holding the duck and book to court and got it thrown out (Clarks hill)