Spine shots?

woody116

I have a chance to hunt some great property, plenty of deer. The trail where I would set up is like the deer interstate.
Now the problem, this is a small lot. The owners have a wooded area behind their house, and on the other side of the wood lot is 1/2 million dollar homes. Law says I can not hunt within 100 yards of a home, without permission. I would more than 100 yards, but the property line wouldnt be much more than 20 yards or so from where I could hunt.

So, the issue is this. If I make a so-so shot, I could have a difficult time recovering the deer if these homeowners will not let me track the deer onto their property. I could ask for permission prior, but that could work against. I got this spot because the homeowner is so sick and tired of the deer eating all the flowers around the house.

My question...how hard are spine shots? Should they be taken or attempted? If you miss the spine, I assume you miss all vitals then you could lose the deer quickly. They have a fenced yard (split rail) and I could take the shot while in the yard, which would force the deer to go over/under the fence, which could benefit maybe?

Should I just pass on the property? Down side is that I am loosing my hunting areas. My 10 acre lot that I had last year now has 4 guys hunting it, not just 2.

Any suggestions?

reylamb

My suggestion, contact the neighbors to get permission. The spinal shot should never intentionally be attempted. The spinal cord itself is the size of a pencil and very well protected. Contrary to popular opinion, just hitting the vertebra will not drop a deer in it's tracks.

Aiming for the spine will typically have one of 2 results, neither good options.
First, high hit above the actual spinal column through teh backstraps. A non-fatal hit.
Second, it will lead to a high, usually very high lung hit, with the high probability of only getting one lung. This has 2 problems. First, the single lung hit may or may not be fatal, but will have a long blood trail. Second, even if you get both lungs, with entrance and exit woulds being high on the animal the blood trail may be difficult. In order for boood to hit the ground the body cavity will first have to fill. There will be some blood trail, but it will be difficult to follow until the body cavity fills up.

Like I said, contact the neighbors to get their permission. In all likelihood, if they are 1/2 million dollar homes, their very expensive landscaping is probably getting destroyed also. You just may find they would love to have the herd thinned out some.

mpowell

i agree, reylamb. i think an intentional spinal shot on a deer is not ideal and, personally, i wouldn't take one.

a great, double lung shot is any bowhunter's best bet IMO.

of course, no matter what kind of shot you make there are no guarantees on how far the game might travel. a great shot might result in a 100 yard tracking job. a so-so shot deer might fall over in half that distance.

Arrow Flinger

I have unintentionally hit the spine before and it ain't a pretty sight. If they do drop, a follow up shot is needed and it is not the quick humane kill we all seek.

reylamb

Let me add a follow up to FLinger's statement. Oftentimes, spine hit deer will lay there a bleat, loudly. It may draw more attention than you may want.

RThomas

Never intentionally take a spine shot. There is very very little room for error. If you want to avoid a tracking job- then aiming for the spine isn't the way to do it. If the deer doesn't drop in its tracks, you'll be tracking it for a long way- if the blood trail is good enough.
You've also got to take into account the movement of the deer. You may hit the bullseye everytime at the range, but if the deer moves even slightly, you're shot will be off.

woody116

Excellent points everyone. Certainly this isnt the way to go.
Guess the best thing to do is talk with the neighbors and hope they are ok with it. Like I said, I will hunt the owners property, just concerned that the deer will cross over the property line before it drops.

Thanks again.

bukhuntr

Are you technically hunting when you are following a blood trail. I think someone would be hard pressed to make an issue of you following a blood trail of an animal you shot on legal property (better yet, leave your bow at your tree, you rarely need it when trailing a bowshot deer). I would position myself for the best broadside shot, go for the double lung, and only ask permission if the deer happened to make it to the neighbors property. No point in drawing attention to what you are doing unless absolutely neccessary.

Jody Hawk

I ain't intentionally breaking a deer down in its back. To me that is a inhamane way to kill the animal. If I couldn't get access to the surrounding property then I'd pass. Just my opinion.

gabowman

What does the law say about making every attempt about recovering wounded or downed game animals anyway? Would that give you permission to cross a property line to get a wounded animal? Curious...

GB

BowFan

Like a previous poster said, if they are eating your landowner's shrubs they are probably eating the neighbors. I'd make sure your landowner know's the risks and what is involved, explain your past experience, maybe show your skill and ask him/her if they think if would be necessary to talk to the neighbors.

Then, they won't have a stranger (you) talking to them, but rather someone in the same shoes as them (wealthy neighbor being bothered by those expensive damage causing pesky deer). If the neighbors are flaming antis, it would be best if he found out and could possibly reason with the neighbors.

While you are required by law to attempt to recover your game, I believe the law states you still have to seek permission to trespass for recovery.

Woody

Founder - Gone but not forgotten.
reylamb said:
Oftentimes, spine hit deer will lay there and bleat, loudly. It may draw more attention than you may want.

I can just about promise ------- you'll have every Dog in the neighborhood barking and people coming out of their houses to see what's making that awful sound. :bounce:

Also --- 911 will probably have someone enroute. -- Could turn into a nightmare?

UWGduck

Some people disagree but just wait til one is directly under you and if you miss the spine you still hit vitals. Just my 2 cents. Shot one like that this year and missed the spine and she ran 40 yards.

Arrow Flinger

UWGduck said:
Some people disagree but just wait til one is directly under you and if you miss the spine you still hit vitals. Just my 2 cents. Shot one like that this year and missed the spine and she ran 40 yards.

You are correct you will hit A vital but only one lung most of the time, or a gut and a deer can and will run for a long, long way with one lung. I pass this shot everytime.

reylamb

Plus, to build on what Flinger just said, how many people actually practice this shot. How many people know where their arrow will hit at a range of less than 2 yards out? I do, but I still will not take that shot, too many bad things can happen. If it is a shot that is never practiced it is a shot that should never be taken. If you wait, that deer has to go somewhere, it will not stand under you forever.

woody116

Thanks for all the imput everyone.

Here in IL we do have to have the landowners permission to enter property to recover an animal. I think I may try the direct approach and knock on a door or two. Maybe that will open it up to a little more?

Thanks again.