Spooked Deer Advice

Brojbennett

I am fairly new to hunting and need some advice. I was doing a little scouting today and found a spot I thought would be great to put a ladde stand. I stood there and looked for a couple minutes and when I started walking again a deer jumped up from bedding about 20 yards away. I don’t know enough about deer bedding to know if I should go back into that spot to put the stand up, or try to put one a little farther away. Thoughts?

bany

Probably a fine spot to put a stand.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Intuition would tell me you picked a great tree but I wouldn’t put a stand there for about a month or few.
Not enough details to be called a great spot but hey the deer was definitely there.
You need to put your stand where the deer “will be” not so much were.
If you bow hunt find that healthy stand of white oak and stay out till the time and wind is right.

across the river

Considering you have months before the season starts, I wouldn't worry about it.

westcobbdog

I am fairly new to hunting and need some advice. I was doing a little scouting today and found a spot I thought would be great to put a ladde stand. I stood there and looked for a couple minutes and when I started walking again a deer jumped up from bedding about 20 yards away. I don’t know enough about deer bedding to know if I should go back into that spot to put the stand up, or try to put one a little farther away. Thoughts?

Try to position stand affording best shot but also where you are not on stage but more concealed, also try to pick a location where you can enter and exit without being easily detected, also try to be consistently downwind from where you think they will be.

HarryO45

Mag dump Dirty Harry
If you think it is a good spot for early season. I would keep it there and leave it alone till you hunt it. I am wondering if this is your only stand? It has been a long time since I put all my eggs in one basket. I would find other stands and locations. Me personally if you are new to hunting I would start investing in climbing deer stands. Then you can move them pretty easily. I have a lease and will put my stands (9) out a couple of months prior to season. Then I can move them when conditions change. I set up my stands so that I can hunt in any wind direction.

I am excited you are starting to hunt... tell your friends.

dwhee87

GON Political Forum Scientific Studies Poster
Also, try to find a spot that you don't have to cross their travel lane to get into your stand. I've made that mistake, and have been busted by them smelling my tracks as they came toward me.

Brojbennett

If you think it is a good spot for early season. I would keep it there and leave it alone till you hunt it. I am wondering if this is your only stand? It has been a long time since I put all my eggs in one basket. I would find other stands and locations. Me personally if you are new to hunting I would start investing in climbing deer stands. Then you can move them pretty easily. I have a lease and will put my stands (9) out a couple of months prior to season. Then I can move them when conditions change. I set up my stands so that I can hunt in any wind direction.

I am excited you are starting to hunt... tell your friends.
Thanks for your input. This is my second season. I have a stand about 100 yards away from this spot that I hunted last year. It is on the edge of a flat pond. I could always hear more movement in that flatpond area than I saw deer and I could tell the deer always came out of there. I had noticed on google maps that there was an old trail running through the flat pond. As I walking down the trail, I found the spot I want to put a stand. My concern is going back in there to put the stand. I am worried I may spook deer again and ruin a good spot. If I set this up the way I am wanting, it will give me two options of hunting that area for different winds. I also have another spot about a mile away. We get two personal spots.

baddave

i've always said and thunk , deer are the best sign you can get . you won't ruin it spooking deer 6 mnths in advance . they don't necessarily hold a grudge that long . they are smart but i've missed deer(w/ gun) and get another shot 2-3 days later .you are fine .put that stand up . have several stands and hunt them intermittently

Twiggbuster

Good spot, hunt it.
They rarely stay spooked for long out of season. They know when it’s hunting season believe me!!
If they don’t run off and stand around snorting, they’ll settle down quickly as long as you get on out of there.

MikeyD6

Deleted
Like others have said, you didn't ruin it. Sounds like a good spot. On a side note, a spooked deer will often run about 70 yards, then circle downwind of where they got scared to make sure something is there. If you immediately take off running for a few seconds downwind of where you were and sit tight, a lot of times you can get a second shot on them. It works especially well if they don't run off snorting the whole time. Usually that means they aren't really sure they saw something and more often than not they'll want to check it out.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I agree with everybody else. Put the stand up and clear your shooting lanes now and back out except for maybe a trail cam you check every couple of weeks. Sounds like a good spot. Spooking one deer one time in April isn't going to ruin the spot for September.