Spring Bear Hunt

Christian hughey

Don't quote me on this I'm not a bear expert by any means but I heard bear were not too long ago treated as a predatory animal. Like a coyote and recently they have been added as a big game animal with more protections and a steady plan of conservation instead of just go'in out and shooting them whenever. That could be the difference please tell me if anyone thinks I'm wrong or has something to back it. Just what I heard.

Rabun

Don't quote me on this I'm not a bear expert by any means but I heard bear were not too long ago treated as a predatory animal. Like a coyote and recently they have been added as a big game animal with more protections and a steady plan of conservation instead of just go'in out and shooting them whenever. That could be the difference please tell me if anyone thinks I'm wrong or has something to back it. Just what I heard.

I found the following article (a little dated at 2010) which seems to answer my own question in my previous post. And also seems to confirm what you say above Christian. We are apparently realizing the benefits of sound management practices (y), which probably includes cracking down on illegal harvest of bears as with all game animals. But I'm sure the greatest impact of a rising population is a cumulative result from years of sound management practices.

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/hunting_big-game-hunting_ga_aa101203a/

greg_n_clayton

I agree. Hunting season ends May 31 on public land as of last year. There could be some guideline laid out by the state legislature since they set bag limits but definitely no federal rule. The feds only have authority over migratory birds, endangered species and wild horses and donkies. Don't get me started on the stupidity of protecting feral and invasive equines.
The feds have total control over their lands !!

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I've been perusing around to find some confirmation of my thoughts in my previous post. I can't.
Neither can I find a single instance of a game animal being in season between May 15th and August 15th.

Tio Hey Seuss

The feds have total control over their lands !!
That's an ignorant statement for several reasons. One, the land does not belong to the feds. It belongs to the people. To me, you and those still unborn. The federal government is charged with the stewardship of OUR land to ensure it exists for EVERY CITIZEN in the future. Second, the feds don't have total control. Many many acres of the national forest are managed by the state in the form of WMA's. The feds don't decide what is planted, when or where it's planted. There are many wilderness areas that both the state and feds have to leave untouched. Also, there are numerous public meetings each year for citizens to voice their oponion on how the forest should be managed.
Lastly, even if the feds control the land, the animals on the land are held in trust by the state for the use of the people. Translation: the feds make decisions for timber harvest but the state dictates animal harvest.

Christian hughey

They are cutting way to much timber on the national forest around me. I read an article about it and one of the wildlife biologists were saying that it was necessary and to an extent I believe him but the cutting has been more intense on my locations in the past few years than I have seen ever. I have a bunch of em, on Oconee, cedar creek, piedmont etc. and the same pattern is laid out with mass cut, leaving creek bottoms and a few standing oaks on the hill tops. Looks devastating. Also I hate this new threat we see every season right around September with the .gov shut down. First year it actually happened they cut off access to all federal public land and I lost it. Thankfully they reopened quickly, government went back to work and I got my Oconee NF back. Great points made by tio about the hard work that goes into it by our state's conservationists. We all appreciate the bigger bucks we are shooting thanks to our states WMA's land and quality mgt. practices i have seen a major difference and no feds don't control everything. But they can be a pain in the butt and make it where you can't hunt your favorite spot opening weekend.

Last edited:

greg_n_clayton

That's an ignorant statement for several reasons. One, the land does not belong to the feds. It belongs to the people. To me, you and those still unborn. The federal government is charged with the stewardship of OUR land to ensure it exists for EVERY CITIZEN in the future. Second, the feds don't have total control. Many many acres of the national forest are managed by the state in the form of WMA's. The feds don't decide what is planted, when or where it's planted. There are many wilderness areas that both the state and feds have to leave untouched. Also, there are numerous public meetings each year for citizens to voice their oponion on how the forest should be managed.
Lastly, even if the feds control the land, the animals on the land are held in trust by the state for the use of the people. Translation: the feds make decisions for timber harvest but the state dictates animal harvest.
I am sorry I am so ignorant !! But the meetings you speak of, they have their minds pretty much up when have such meetings to satisfy procedure !@ Yes the lands belong belong to the people, and the gov't does a good job managing it !! It is the tree huggers that will not let them do there jobs the way they need to as far as timber thinning and such. I wish they had more money to spend on their roads so they wouldn't have to close them !! They also have slightly different rules than lands around them, number of doe days for instance. I am sorry you think I am ignorant my friend. I think you may have took my ignorant comment out of text. I definitely didn't mean to ruffle your feathers !!

Panther25

Pretty sure that Georgia has a state or federal mandate, of sorts, that requires that all hunting take place between the dates of August 15th and May 15th.
I'd have to do a little research to come up with the definitive info, but I believe that is the bottom line.

I think this is what you're referring to:

Effective: June 3, 2010
Ga. Code Ann., § 27-3-15
§ 27-3-15. Seasons and bag limits

(a) It shall be unlawful to hunt the following game species at any time during the periods set forth below:
Game Species
Closed Season

(1)
Quail
March 16--Oct. 31

(2)
Grouse
March 1--Oct. 14

(3)
Turkey

(A) Gobblers
May 22--March 14

(B) Hens
All year

(4)
Deer
Jan. 16--Sept. 7; except that the closed season may be Feb. 1--Sept. 7 in those counties specified as having an extended archery-only open season in paragraph (4) of subsection (b) of this Code section

(5)
Bobcat
March 1--Oct. 14

(6)
Opossum
March 1--Oct. 14, for that area north of and including Haralson, Paulding, Bartow, Cherokee, Forsyth, Hall, Banks, Franklin, and Hart counties

(7)
Rabbit
March 1--Oct. 31

(8)
Raccoon
March 1--Oct. 14, for that area north of and including Carroll, Fulton, Gwinnett, Barrow, Clarke, Oglethorpe, Taliaferro, Wilkes, and Lincoln counties

(9)
Squirrel
March 1--August 14

(10)
Bear
Jan. 16--Sept. 7

(11)
Sea turtles and their eggs
All year

(12)
Cougar (Felis concolor)
All year

(13)
Alligators
Nov. 1--March 31

(14)
Migratory game birds
March 11--August 31

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Yes, thanks.
I see that was annotated or whatever in 2010 and I see that the mandatory end of season for turkey is now May 22nd. Maybe it was the 15th before 2010, not sure.
Anyway, is this wrd s rule to change or State Legislature?
Not arguing for or against an additional bear season....

Tio Hey Seuss

I am sorry I am so ignorant !! But the meetings you speak of, they have their minds pretty much up when have such meetings to satisfy procedure !@ Yes the lands belong belong to the people, and the gov't does a good job managing it !! It is the tree huggers that will not let them do there jobs the way they need to as far as timber thinning and such. I wish they had more money to spend on their roads so they wouldn't have to close them !! They also have slightly different rules than lands around them, number of doe days for instance. I am sorry you think I am ignorant my friend. I think you may have took my ignorant comment out of text. I definitely didn't mean to ruffle your feathers !!
Sorry man. It seems I misread you. I agree that the tree huggers are a huge problem with their opposition to any timber management. In regards to the funding for roads, you may get your wish. I heard a bill was recently passed to make it so fighting wild fires won't eat up the forest service general budget. Right now fires eat up more than half of all funding!! I think the change takes effect 2020.

Christian hughey

Not hugging trees or nothing just getting tired of go in out each season to see another area just demolished and have to find another location to hunt. I understand land mgmt. is just as necessary but could ya leave a few more trees in the area when you do cut. Thanks

Last edited:

Tio Hey Seuss

Yea, it's tuff to strike a balance. I get where the huggers are coming from too. Huge old trees are awesome to be around and a mature forest is much more pleasing to the eye than a cut even after a few years growth.

greg_n_clayton

One more post on this because we got away from the OP, and I apoligize. I dont know of a clear cut being done in this area in a long time. They do select cutting here and yonder, and usually do their topping in a srea or two to prevent limbs and junk scattered everywhere ! Water Gauge Road off Camp Creek and the Wolf Creek Church areas are good examples !!