Spring Black Drum

Cumberlandjg

Anyone have experience with the Spring Black Drum Spawn and targeting the 30+ lb fish?

Wanting to try my luck with them this year, always hear blue crab is best bait, but I assume same rig setup for bull reds and cut mullet about the size of a small fist would suffice for them? End of Jetties off the south end of cumberland probably best bet to find them? Plan on starting to target them end of February thru March.

Thanks in advance.

fuelman1

I've had good luck with them around the ballast piles near the mouth of Sapelo Sound. Just off the north end of Blackbeard Island. I haven't tried the blue crab. Pieces of dead shrimp have worked really well.

lonewolf247

We catch a lot of Bull Reds and Black Drum, in Grand Isle La. Usually use dead shrimp, crabs, and cocahoe minnows. Around the jetties and structure, are usually good places to find them.

LittleDrummerBoy

Half a blue crab is usually the best bait. And when crab in unavailable, we've done well with crawfish. Sure, you can catch them on shrimp and mullet also. But if the water temps are warm enough for high levels of catfish activity, it will be easier to keep crawfish or crab on the hook longer.

LittleDrummerBoy