Spring plots:what are YOU planting?

shdw633

Alyce Clover, Buckwheat and Brown Top Millet.

Possum

Banned
Whitetail institute power plant (which has soybeans, cowpeas, sun hemp, sunflower and lab lab)
And I’m also adding some Alyce cover on top of that.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Planning a few rows of corn and grain sorghum. Rest of the plot with iron clay/soybeans. Maybe alyce clover?

Are you planting the sorghum in rows like the corn ?

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I was thinking of spraying plots the end of April and throw n mow alyce clover at the end of turkey season. I just don't know how good my odds are of it being successful. Guess it depends on how much mulch covers it?

BCPbuckhunter

I was thinking of spraying plots the end of April and throw n mow alyce clover at the end of turkey season. I just don't know how good my odds are of it being successful. Guess it depends on how much mulch covers it?
Depends on doing it with the right rain. That is the key. Alyce is one of the easiest plants to plant. I have planted it very successfully on bare ground with nobtgatch and the right rain. I would plant it no earlier than mid April according to my results on it.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Depends on doing it with the right rain. That is the key. Alyce is one of the easiest plants to plant. I have planted it very successfully on bare ground with nobtgatch and the right rain. I would plant it no earlier than mid April according to my results on it.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try it out.

BluewaterFever

We are going to try some "Conceal" by Whitetail Institute to block off a white clover plot that is barely hanging on. We are also trying to revive the clover with fertilizer this past weekend and herbicide as required in the next month or so. It is next to the club barn and camp area. We have plenty of deer at sunset and at night but not during the day, hoping to get some deer in during shooting light, there is a nice 8pt that likes this plot along with several other bucks and lots of does.

On three of our other food plots we are planting Sun Hemp on the perimeter edges of the plots to help build a bedding area next to the food plots, try to hide our entrance and exit to stands and try to help the deer feel more comfortable out in the open area.

We have approximately 175 acres of agriculture crops that the farmer will take care of for the spring food plots!

davidhelmly

We normally don't do any spring plots but try to keep most of our plots in perennial clover, this year I want to experiment a little and try something different. I've had several people tell me it most likely won't work but I'm pretty stubborn plus I've got a new planter that I want to use.

First off we are going to spray all of our plots with 1 qt to the ac of glyphosate to hopefully take care of any grass and to slow the clover down temporarily and then in the plots with a good stand of clover we will plant a mix of sunn hemp, cowpeas, soybeans, WGF, pearl millet, buckwheat and sunflowers in alternating strips thru the clover while trying to do as little damage as possible to the clover, then the plan is to come back in Oct and plant the unplanted clover strips in cereal grain, clover and brassica. In our plots without decent clover we will plant the entire plot in the spring mix and play it by ear in the fall depending on how it looks, we will either broadcast our fall mix into the standing plot or use the planter and just plant thru it.

We are taking some money out of our feeding budget for the extra planting money this year and I'm excited to see the results. Now if will ever dry up enough I want to get the lime and fertilizer trucks in before spraying and planting. ::;::;

Hookedup

Sounds great. I hope it works out well for you guys. I keep hearing guys planting sun hemp. Seems to be gaining popularity. So the deer take to it like iron clays or clover?

Triple C

We normally don't do any spring plots but try to keep most of our plots in perennial clover, this year I want to experiment a little and try something different. I've had several people tell me it most likely won't work but I'm pretty stubborn plus I've got a new planter that I want to use.

First off we are going to spray all of our plots with 1 qt to the ac of glyphosate to hopefully take care of any grass and to slow the clover down temporarily and then in the plots with a good stand of clover we will plant a mix of sunn hemp, cowpeas, soybeans, WGF, pearl millet, buckwheat and sunflowers in alternating strips thru the clover while trying to do as little damage as possible to the clover, then the plan is to come back in Oct and plant the unplanted clover strips in cereal grain, clover and brassica. In our plots without decent clover we will plant the entire plot in the spring mix and play it by ear in the fall depending on how it looks, we will either broadcast our fall mix into the standing plot or use the planter and just plant thru it.

We are taking some money out of our feeding budget for the extra planting money this year and I'm excited to see the results. Now if will ever dry up enough I want to get the lime and fertilizer trucks in before spraying and planting. ::;::;

David - I'd be disappointed if you didn't break in that Woods seeder with a spring plant! Might even want to consider a couple acres of corn. Whenever you plant be sure and post plenty of pics.

davidhelmly

David - I'd be disappointed if you didn't break in that Woods seeder with a spring plant! Might even want to consider a couple acres of corn. Whenever you plant be sure and post plenty of pics.
No doubt that I will be using the Woods and taking pictures!

davidhelmly

Sounds great. I hope it works out well for you guys. I keep hearing guys planting sun hemp. Seems to be gaining popularity. So the deer take to it like iron clays or clover?
Hookedup, I have never planted sunn hemp before but I'm planting it as something for the beans to climb and hoping it isn't quite so appetizing to the deer and act as a little bit of a shield from the deer for the beans and sunflowers, I'm also hoping it will leave plenty of residue to help build the OM in my plots.

OmenHonkey

I Want Fancy Words TOO !
I'm about to Harrow under my oats and Plant some WI Powerplant. That mix seems easy to do with my drill and i won't have to chase down all the seeds individually. I'm planting some more Dunstans this weekend also.

shdw633

Hookedup, I have never planted sunn hemp before but I'm planting it as something for the beans to climb and hoping it isn't quite so appetizing to the deer and act as a little bit of a shield from the deer for the beans and sunflowers, I'm also hoping it will leave plenty of residue to help build the OM in my plots.

My deer won't let sunn hemp get about a foot without plowing it down. That being said you should hope they take to it otherwise it can grow up to 10 feet tall and you will have a dickens of a time reincorporating it back into the soil. Make sure you pay attention to it because the deer really won't like it once it's over 4 feet tall. If they don't take to it you may have to mow it periodically to keep it from getting out of hand....unfortunately I never had that issue with my deer.

davidhelmly

My deer won't let sunn hemp get about a foot without plowing it down. That being said you should hope they take to it otherwise it can grow up to 10 feet tall and you will have a dickens of a time reincorporating it back into the soil. Make sure you pay attention to it because the deer really won't like it once it's over 4 feet tall. If they don't take to it you may have to mow it periodically to keep it from getting out of hand....unfortunately I never had that issue with my deer.
Our deer are like a herd little hungry monsters when it comes to eating so hopefully they will take to it, the Sunn Hemp will be planting at a fairly low rate so hopefully that will help too.

Buckstop

The sunn hemp worked well for us last year. It was the second year we planted it in a mix with buckwheat and I & C peas. It seemed to keep up with the browse and stayed about 2' to 3'. I think the buckwheat that jumps up pretty quick helped it establish before it got wiped out. The sunn hemp did a good job too of sheltering the peas too which usually hammered to death early on. Will plant the same again this May.