St George Island FL - fishing 10/10-10/13

95g atl

Thanks for the advice. First time to St George Island. Weather is fabulous for beach time.

On way to Indian pass area now.
Hopefully less wind per another forum member that was there yesterday. ?

Hoping to get around St vincent island and explore that area. Worse case can go into the sound or just hang out at the beach.

12.5 mpg and 60-65mph towing the boat from Suwanee was BLAH. Hopefully can use the boat

95g atl

Flounder
Redfish
Catfish
Between PSJ and MEXICO beach

95g atl

Wasn’t too bad until late afternoon when we did the 10-15 miles or so back to Presnells. Pretty rough coming in.

All in all. Worth every penny is the extra gas towing and hassle.

Beaches are beyond awesome

jfinch

No luck in the bay, just trash fish. Did good today along the bouy line on triple tale. All short about 14-15" but lots of fun.15033.jpeg

Fourfingers

If the wind is blowing in from Eastpoint it is usually calmer on the main land side might be easier to put in at ramp in Eastpoint and fish the bay and river inlets

HuntinJake_23

There is a park on the bay side off 6th Street that has a bunch of overflow ponds, we always catch blue crabs to eat and for bait using just a fishing pole and net. Don’t sleep on the pier, the wife and I were down there first of May and managed a 36” red and a 30”black drum off the island side pier using crab as bait. Also fish the surf and watch for bait exploding on top. Good luck

95g atl

Back to GA last night......!!!!

Here are some updates:
Saturday Indian Pass. Wow, the current is STRONG. Holy smokes, that is the weirdest feeling being pushed around at slow speed with the current going in every direction. Was going around the point of Indian Pass and St Vincent Island. Depth gauge was between 1.0 feet and 2.2 feet. Hit bottom a few times with prop. Was a little bit of a white knuckle ride, as soon as we got out to about 5 feet around the point, I opened the throttle and NOTHING. Snapped the dang throttle cable. -----Better at the beginning of the trip than 10 miles away from the ramp.

Turned around and headed back - lucky it broke at about 2000 rpm than 5500 rpm. Was able to make it back (sweating bullets) and shut the motor about 40 yards from the ramp and drifted in. Bummer!!!! Spent the rest of the time at Mexico Beach.

==================
The best news was after Indian Pass and heading to Mexico Beach, stopped by to check out a house for sale. It was pretty messed up. Spoke to an older fella and we got to chatting for awhile. He wants to sell his place in the same area. So we took a look at the house and agreed on the price. I drafted up the purchase contract this morning and will be calling him shortly to mail it out to him. HOPEFULLY HOPEFULLY HOPEFULLY we will have our own place a few blocks from the beach. A dream I've had for quite some time!!!!

Would be nice to leave all the beach crap, boat, etc., in FL and not have to haul all that stuff back and forth. That's the worse part of any trip IMO. Especially going thru Atlanta nonsense and the idiots that don't understand when folks are towing stuff, it takes longer to stop and slower to merge.

Bubba_1122

I went down to SGI onThursday. Was gonna fish in the bay on Friday but too windy for me.

Got up Saturday morning and dumped the boat at a friends dock. Headed out. None of my electronics were working (had just put in new batteries on Thursday morning at 5:00am before I hit the road). Ended up putting the boat back on the trailer and figured would just watch ballgames all day.

Ended up isolating my problem to a faulty circuit breaker. Trip to Wefings to buy the part and an hour later my wife and I had my boat in the water and were soon catching fish (and didn't have to watch the Bulldog debacle).

Ended up keeping 2 mid-slot reds and 4 nice trout (largest trout was 23"). Caught a few others. Mostly caught on Gulp jerk shad.

Saturday was a beautiful day on the water.

4HAND

Cuffem & Stuffem Moderator
Staff member
Back to GA last night......!!!!

Here are some updates:
Saturday Indian Pass. Wow, the current is STRONG. Holy smokes, that is the weirdest feeling being pushed around at slow speed with the current going in every direction. Was going around the point of Indian Pass and St Vincent Island. Depth gauge was between 1.0 feet and 2.2 feet. Hit bottom a few times with prop. Was a little bit of a white knuckle ride, as soon as we got out to about 5 feet around the point, I opened the throttle and NOTHING. Snapped the dang throttle cable. -----Better at the beginning of the trip than 10 miles away from the ramp.

Turned around and headed back - lucky it broke at about 2000 rpm than 5500 rpm. Was able to make it back (sweating bullets) and shut the motor about 40 yards from the ramp and drifted in. Bummer!!!! Spent the rest of the time at Mexico Beach.

==================
The best news was after Indian Pass and heading to Mexico Beach, stopped by to check out a house for sale. It was pretty messed up. Spoke to an older fella and we got to chatting for awhile. He wants to sell his place in the same area. So we took a look at the house and agreed on the price. I drafted up the purchase contract this morning and will be calling him shortly to mail it out to him. HOPEFULLY HOPEFULLY HOPEFULLY we will have our own place a few blocks from the beach. A dream I've had for quite some time!!!!

Would be nice to leave all the beach crap, boat, etc., in FL and not have to haul all that stuff back and forth. That's the worse part of any trip IMO. Especially going thru Atlanta nonsense and the idiots that don't understand when folks are towing stuff, it takes longer to stop and slower to merge.
Dude! You went to the gulf fishing & caught a house! Congratulations!

95g atl

I went down to SGI onThursday. Was gonna fish in the bay on Friday but too windy for me.

Got up Saturday morning and dumped the boat at a friends dock. Headed out. None of my electronics were working (had just put in new batteries on Thursday morning at 5:00am before I hit the road). Ended up putting the boat back on the trailer and figured would just watch ballgames all day.

Ended up isolating my problem to a faulty circuit breaker. Trip to Wefings to buy the part and an hour later my wife and I had my boat in the water and were soon catching fish (and didn't have to watch the Bulldog debacle).

Ended up keeping 2 mid-slot reds and 4 nice trout (largest trout was 23"). Caught a few others. Mostly caught on Gulp jerk shad.

Saturday was a beautiful day on the water.

We were there the same time!!!!
Man, Thursday and Friday were ROUGH at SGI.
Friday was great at PSJ Bay
Saturday was great at Indian Pass - until the throttle cable busted.

Think I'll be back to PSJ/MB in November/December. Try it again! :)

95g atl

UPDATE:
closed on the house last week. It's ALL MINE now. woohoo.
Oh, happened to break my leg three weeks ago and had to have surgery (pins/rod/screws) so there is not a dog gone thing I can do for another 6 weeks. :(

The good news is, had the boat fixed BEFORE leg broke so it is ready when i'm healed.

Was hoping to get down there for thanksgiving week to fish and do some things to the house. NOPE............! Crutches and boat/sand don't work.

Very humbling............

tad1

Man, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Congrats on the house maybe you can work on tying some fishing rigs or getting organized!
JT

95g atl

Man, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Congrats on the house maybe you can work on tying some fishing rigs or getting organized!
JT
Thank you!!!
Just takes time they say.
Keeping the mind sane is the hardest part.

jfinch

Congrats on the house. Hate to hear about the leg, hope it heals quick.

95g atl

Congrats on the house. Hate to hear about the leg, hope it heals quick.
Thank you.
today marks the 4 week since surgery. Doc says "about" 4 more to go. Arggg!

I want to get down to MB FL again!!! Want to do some remodeling on the house and already have some friends that would like to rent it a week at a time for their vacations.