St. George Rental

Thread starter #1

Whiteboy

Anyone have good sites or recommendations for rentals on St. George? This would only be for a couple of nights and not a week at a time.

Thanks

You’re going to be hard pressed to find someone renting less than a week right now. Maybe check VRBO or AirBnB. And even though it isn’t the Ritz, the Buccaneer Inn is also a possible choice.

1982ace

If you can’t find anything left on the island you could try to stay at appalachicola. That’s where the best food is anyway.

Thread starter #5

Whiteboy

Thanks for the replies. They are about what I expected, based on my memory last time I went. Right now looking at the Best Western. Rates not too bad (compared to others in the area). Breakfast and wifi for a couple of nights make it worth it to keep the wife happy. If you have stayed at Bay City and prefer it for any reason, let me know.

I have only put the kayak in at the park on the island. If there is closer access from the land side that has ok fishing within paddling distance, please let me know the name and I'll google it. It has been a long time since I went, but if I remember right a bag full of gold spoons and a rod was all I needed to keep myself busy.

Thread starter #6

Whiteboy

Now that the weekend has come and gone with no forum, I had time to ponder and I'm going to surf and wade fish I think. My focus will get a lot better mileage than my old F150. It is just me and the wife, and if she fishes it isn't very much. Not worth taking the yaks for the difference in mileage. I recognize that I have a problem from past trips and will take things too seriously and will stay in the yak by myself for hours on end and never realize I had a vacation. Trying to make this a relaxed trip. I've got a night or to at Ranch and the rest at Best Western. If like my previous trips, a couple of gold spoons is all that is needed to keep us fed every night. I have not been down in several years and the last time was a cool spring with a lot of rain and fresh water. Nothing but ladyfish and catfish from the yak, and big sharks and rays circling me when wading and surf fishing. Hopefully all this rain won't have the same effect this year.

Rabun

I would also try top water baits like a zara spook or skitter walk and soft plastics on a jig head on the bay side. Flounder have also arrived so carolina rigged bull minnows work well for them. Good luck!

Thread starter #8

Whiteboy

Did about like I expected, considering I didn't buy any live bait. No big numbers, but caught a few. A juvenile black drum put up the best fight on a sand flea I dug up. Pompano, mackerel, ladyfish, sharks, etc. Yesterday the little sharks made me quit after a while. I couldn't keep both rods baited. I quit counting after I caught seven or eight. I had a piece of the chartreuse fish bites on one hook and a cut up ladyfish on the other. They kept hitting the fish bites like tossing crickets in a bream bed. This was probably the most relaxed trip I have taken in a while and will go back a time or two before the year is out. I'd like to try the old bridge close to dark, but it looked like a long walk. Papa Joe's hit the spot with oysters raw and fried.

We stayed at the St George Inn a couple of days. It was clean, but kinda cramped, they remodeling some of the rooms. I can put up with most anything for a couple of days, but that would be the limit for this place. If you are on the second Floor there is no elevator.

Thread starter #12

Whiteboy

I failed to mention, the Rancho was ok for the money. My only complaint was folks talking in the parking lot could be heard in the room when the TV was off. Best Western was nice. It had much better wifi and a breakfast.

Got behind somebody in greenish Nissan (I think) SUV with what looked like a GON sticker on the back. We were all stuck behind a plumber's van going about 5-10 below the speed limit for about 10 miles.