St. Mary's - August 4th

brriner

Wendell and I stopped to get bait and were at the jetties by 8:30 - dead low tide - waiting for some clear water and movement. My first bait in the water produced a ladyfish that was very big and acrobatic. Second cast...same thing. We moved a bit and I started to see the right color water. That produced the first redfish of the day. He was small, but fiesty.
arddmnpzcaba.jpg

I caught 7 about this size throughout the day...anywhere from 11-13 inches. The water started moving a bit and I hooked up again with something that was pulling drag like it wasn't even aware it was hooked. It started running for deeper water so I thought it might have been a shark. About 5 minutes later, it finally showed itself the first time and I realized it was an over slot red. He was FUN though. We got him in the net, took a quick picture, and released him unharmed.
bvrigevfcv1f.jpeg

We fished on until almost high tide, but at 1:00. we'd had enough. Only undersized trout. more ladyfish, 1 short flounder, and a short black drum were caught. Other than a couple of whiting and some decent sized croakers that is. Sometimes, you just gotta dance with the one that brung ya. I kept a few of the croakers and whiting. We had them for supper last night. They were delicious! And just enough for a meal for my wife and me with no leftovers.

m276c69tfl2j.jpg

It was a day on the water with my best friend where everything about the boat worked like it should and we got home safely. That makes it a GREAT day as far as I'm concerned.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Great day on the water!

Ihunt

What did you catch the reds on?

Ladyfish?