St. Marys River

Take about a gallon of Skin So Soft or Cutters Jungle Grade, for sure.

Redbreast are the big thing. Pitching crickets or for artificials, the small green and black striped beetle spins are killers. Other small spinners such as rooster tails will work but you will get hung up more.

If you want some real fun, its a great place to break out the bream buster and some crickets. Although the water is tannic it is clear, especially as the water level falls. You can get by with 4 or 6 lb. line.

Lots of small catfish that don't get much pressure.

Bass fishing is o.k. but I wouldn't target them, especially that far up river. Note that as summer comes on you don't have to go very far upstream to find some extremely skinny water.

Also, if you've never taken the kids, it's definitely worth the trip with trusty Gheenoe through the Okefenokee Swamp.

Festus

25..thanks for the info! I'm really looking forward to getting out there. Are you from that area?

Tulip

From Camp Pickney(18) to Traders Hill (13) there isnt many sandbars on river. And downstream there isnt any at all. There is a high bluff right across river from Camp Pickney on Florida side that is a good camping site that is part of that state forest. Upstream of Traders Hill is where all the sandbars are as the river gets smaller there. I suggest you put in at Traders Hill and go upstream if you want to camp. There is also a campground at Traders Hill which the county used to run but now a private fellow is running it. Aint a bad campground. A gas pipeline from GA to FL is gettin put in right now and a lot of those people are stayin at Traders Hill. As far as fishin lots a catfish on St Marys also some redbreast bream shellcrackers etc. Worms for cats work good. I also like to use livers and shrimp. For redbreast a cricket works best. Get about 300 of em and first of may find a bed and sit there and catch as many as you can. Around first of June if you can find some catawba worms now that is some bait there. Just a reminder if you camp on a sandbar dont get to close to water as St. Marys river is tidal way upstream of Traders Hill and river goes up and down each day. Also changes direction to. Oh yeah I forgot to tell you about the end of April first of may the yellow flies come out in hordes. Welcome to south Georgia

Anyone got any pointers on catching channel cats on the st marys or satilla in Folkston? We fishing on the bottom with shrimp, getting lots of nibbles but not taking it. And the ones that do are very small.....???

Anyone got any pointers on catching channel cats on the st marys or satilla in Folkston? We fishing on the bottom with shrimp, getting lots of nibbles but not taking it. And the ones that do are very small.....???
Fish a #6 cricket hook on 18" of line tied to a barrel swivel with an half once egg sinker above swivel. Find a steep bank with a deep pocket of water. I usually start where the current meets the bank on an outside bend. Fish straight down. Don't cast. Put a worm, shrimp, etc on the bottom and one finger on the line above the reel to help feel the fish. When you get a steady nibble, set the hook. It works for me. Hope that helps.