St simons safety zone question? can you legally launch a small boat from the beach?

Thread starter #1
Can you launch legally launch and land a small boat from the beach at st simons or Jekyll?

Also is it legal to motor out of Gould’s inlet?

BDD

I would think so , but why would you want to ? 12 foot boat, 15 hp motor 1 or 2 guys , 1-1/2 foot breakers coming in.
Sounds like a wet time to me.

Thread starter #6
I would think so , but why would you want to ? 12 foot boat, 15 hp motor 1 or 2 guys , 1-1/2 foot breakers coming in.
Sounds like a wet time to me.
For surf fishing. Was thinking it might be a good way to get to some spots where I can’t take my bigger boat without having to paddle a kayak.

In the summer there is a 1000 foot exclusion zone along the beachersfor motorized craft along St. Simons and Jekyll. That's why you don't see any jet skis or other crazies.

So you can launch it if you can paddle it through the breakers for 1001 feet.

Using sailboats as an example demonstrates the rhetorical error of over-generalization.

Seriously, you might be able to launch from South Beach on Jekyll as part of it is outside the exclusion zone,

Thread starter #12
In the summer there is a 1000 foot exclusion zone along the beachersfor motorized craft along St. Simons and Jekyll. That's why you don't see any jet skis or other crazies.

So you can launch it if you can paddle it through the breakers for 1001 feet.

Using sailboats as an example demonstrates the rhetorical error of over-generalization.

Seriously, you might be able to launch from South Beach on Jekyll as part of it is outside the exclusion zone,
Do you know if there is a map published that has the exclusion zone illustrated? It doesn’t show on my chart plotter.

The following areas are designated as “boating safety zones” and have special restrictions.
It is unlawful to operate a powerboat between May 1 and September 30 within the areas of:
  • Jekyll Island, for a distance of 1,000 feet seaward from the high water mark on Jekyll Island Beach from the north end to the south end of the island
  • Tybee Island Beach, for a distance of 1,000 feet seaward from the high water mark on Tybee Island Beach from the north end to the south end of the island
  • St. Simons Island, for a distance of 1,000 feet seaward from the high water mark from the north end to the south end of the island
  • Sea Island, for a distance of 1,000 feet seaward from the high water mark from the north end to the south end of the island
https://www.boat-ed.com/georgia/handbook/page/38/Georgia-Boating-Safety-Zones/

bnz

That's funny. Was just going out of the sound the other day and the Coast Guard boat was going through the little cut through of deeper water, before the sand bar starts at the north end of the island. It is right off the beach. Maybe we should let them know? ;)

Thread starter #18
The following areas are designated as “boating safety zones” and have special restrictions.
It is unlawful to operate a powerboat between May 1 and September 30 within the areas of:
  • Jekyll Island, for a distance of 1,000 feet seaward from the high water mark on Jekyll Island Beach from the north end to the south end of the island
  • Tybee Island Beach, for a distance of 1,000 feet seaward from the high water mark on Tybee Island Beach from the north end to the south end of the island
  • St. Simons Island, for a distance of 1,000 feet seaward from the high water mark from the north end to the south end of the island
  • Sea Island, for a distance of 1,000 feet seaward from the high water mark from the north end to the south end of the island
https://www.boat-ed.com/georgia/handbook/page/38/Georgia-Boating-Safety-Zones/
So does this mean it is illegal to motor out of Gould’s inlet?