Stand decision

huntersluck

Trying to decide between a mini viper or a mantis saddle. I just wanted to get some thoughts of other hunters. I have been hunting ladder stands for the last 2 decades or more so I dont have experience with new stuff much but I will probably be hunting public more in the future so I need to be able to be portable

Jim Boyd

Consensus here is generally Summit.

Whatever you buy, make sure it is comfortable to YOU.

Best of luck.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
I just cant imagine that I would enjoy the saddle for much of anything, but I know it has its supporters. Love a summit for climbers for sure.

Blackston

Summit go ahead and get the footrest!!!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
If you are a teenaged masochistic trapeze artist who enjoys being hung from a high place by your testicles while being miserable and having all the blood circulation cut off to your extremities, get the saddle. If not, get the Viper. This is not even a comparison, in my mind.

BamaGeorgialine

Trying to decide between a mini viper or a mantis saddle. I just wanted to get some thoughts of other hunters. I have been hunting ladder stands for the last 2 decades or more so I dont have experience with new stuff much but I will probably be hunting public more in the future so I need to be able to be portable
I ordered a tethrd saddle 8 weeks ago and my order is still pending. Just a heads up in case you go that way and you want one before deer season. I was going to give it a try hog hunting and now turkey season is about on us so when I do receive it, there is not telling when I'll get to try it out. Let us know how you like one if you do buy one. Good luck

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I took a peek at the contraption thing. Looks like you need a Summit to climb up there to use that buttock strangler. Maybe better get both.

I got a feeling I'd end up upside down for sure. Phone and my granola bar laying on the ground.

Last edited:

JSnake

Useless Billy Bouncer
Juan vote for the tetherd mantis! You just have to adjust so it’s comfortable for you. You can get in virtually any tree with it.

Love mine. If you went with saddle, how are you going to climb? Couple of different options out there

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
Juan vote for the tetherd mantis! You just have to adjust so it’s comfortable for you. You can get in virtually any tree with it.

Love mine. If you went with saddle, how are you going to climb? Couple of different options out there
with the summit

dixiecutter

Eye Devour ReeB
I've seen those saddle guys on YouTube a lot. It's a big thing. As jsnake says, it probably works good a dirty trick on a deer. To me looks like the saddle guys are toting more weight and spending more time/sweat/energy than a dude packing a summit. Lots of steps and straps and gizmos hanging from all over. Looks like it works though

krizia829

Nothing like sitting up as high as you want and comfortable as a climber. Summit for me! I have the Viper SD and I love it. Go with whatever is comfortable for you though!

BamaGeorgialine

Mostly depends on if your gun hunting or bow hunting. I stick out like a sore thumb when the leaves are gone in November and I'm trying to draw on a deer out of a perfectly straight tree. I have a few millennium lockons and that chain is as aggravating as anything

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
If you are a teenaged masochistic trapeze artist who enjoys being hung from a high place by your testicles while being miserable and having all the blood circulation cut off to your extremities, get the saddle. If not, get the Viper. This is not even a comparison, in my mind.

What he said. ^

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
That saddle is too much like a lineman`s belt. That thing will get tiresome mighty fast.

Triple C

I predict that for the nimble, fit, young guys, that primarily bow hunt, saddle hunting is only going to gain in popularity. Not for mobility reasons but for stealth in the tree. For public land hunters ain't nothing better than a climber. But for multiple stands on your own place or lease, just slap a few 20 ft stick ladders on a tree and shimmy up in your saddle with the micro platform and you're good to go. I've got a buddy that's north of 50 in age, in great shape, and loves the Mantis saddle with the micro platform. My sons and grandson are adding them to their arsenal.

As for me...I'll stick with my ladder stands. Ain't hanging from a lineman's belt with my knees, joints, etc. hurting.

Jim Thompson

Live From The Tree
Mostly depends on if your gun hunting or bow hunting. I stick out like a sore thumb when the leaves are gone in November and I'm trying to draw on a deer out of a perfectly straight tree. I have a few millennium lockons and that chain is as aggravating as anything

Yeah almost nothing as bad as hanging a lockon with a chain instead of a strap. Made that mistake on one of our millenniums and wont do it again. The chain (without a turnbuckle) is useless.