Stand Up Paddleboard up river?

jgpitts

Hi everyone! These warm January days are probably coming to the end soon, but they've got me thinking about fishing again! I love getting out in a kayak, but I'm in an apartment now and don't have much space for one. At the moment I think I can manage either an 8' kayak or a 9'-10' SUP. The SUP is attractive in terms of portability and storage. The only thing is I sometimes have to go alone and I don't like fooling with shuttles, so my favorite way to fish the Chattahoochee here in Fulton Co. is to paddle upstream a ways and then drift down. Does anyone know if you can do that with a SUP or do they only really go downstream?

weagle

If the river is down, I paddle upstream at Jones Bridge, off Riverside under 400, McGinnis Ferry and below Morgan falls. I'm fishing from a 10' SOT, but I see people on SUP going upstream in the same areas.

leoparddog

On the Hooch, I've had a guy pass me both of us going upstream and he was on a SUP while I was in my Jackson. I was struggling through a riffle and he just left me behind. This was at Settles Bridge

RamblinWreck

You poor man.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I see people paddling those things upstream on the French Broad all the time.

fish hawk

Bass Master
A 9 or 10 ft SUP is not going to be very stable nor track well

Ruger roo

Yeah they go up river pretty quick. During the summer, from Azalea Park to the base of Island ford there's always a steady steam of girls in bikinis headed up stream. I just hate it :)
:ROFLMAO:In Columbus they have a yoga class with them on the river.

Latest posts