Standing Boy WMA quota hunt bird. ( ARCHERY ONLY )

4x4Taco

I got picked this year for Standing Boy Creek WMA Quota hunt. It lasted 9 days 4/20 to 4/28 and new it would be a challenge to kill a bird on public land. Even more of a challenge to do it with my crossbow. The first two days was just me figuring out where I needed to be focusing my attention. The third day was cold and clear with no wind and I was on the edge of a field and when the sun came up I thought I died and went to turkey heaven. They were gobbling every where and hens were yelping. I had five Jakes walk in and circle my hen decoy. I would yelp and all five would gobble at the same time. It was awesome. I was holding out for a long beard. The next morning I moved down the field where I could see more of the field and dang if a long beard wasent roosted over my head. He flew down 100 yards in front of me strutting and gobbling and I called to him just enough to let him know I was there and watched him for two hours slowly work towards me. Finally there he was at what I thought was 35 yards so I let my G5 fly and it went over his back because he was at 25 not 35. He just took two steps and went back to strutting. Nothing I could do now because I have to stand up to cock my crossbow. So I just relaxed and enjoyed the show. When the field cleared at around 12 I decided to do some running and gunning down the road a ways. I would call walk a 100 yards or so and call again and listen. At 2:15 one fired back at me and I took off in the bottom to get set up. We almost passed each other because when I sat down and yelped he was above and behind me but he came walking fast straight to me putting the whole time. At 20 yards I diddent miss this time. He flew off and got about 50 yard and then just folded up like a shot dove. It was SWEET. 19.4 pounds with a 10 inch beard and 1 1/4 spurs. I spent the remaining days trying to get the bird I missed in the field but he would find a way around me every time. I have hunted years without the fun I had in those 9 days. Memories I will never forget. Xbow turkey (600 x 468).jpg

Buckman18

Outstanding story and write up, Congratulations!!!

4x4Taco

Thank you. The only bad experience I had from this is the dreaded little red bug/ chiggers and I am still finding a tick stuck somewhere now and then. It was worth it.

DSGB

Congrats on a fine bird!

Huntmaster2

Thank you. The only bad experience I had from this is the dreaded little red bug/ chiggers and I am still finding a tick stuck somewhere now and then. It was worth it.
Congratulations on a great archery bird! I started following Nicodemus's apple cider vinegar recommendation and using peremethrin on my clothes. So far so good.

Garnto88

I was going to suggest Apple cider vinegar also. I drink it daily mixed with water. I have no issues. Congrats on the turkey.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great hunt and congrats on the gobbler !!!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
SWEET! Is that a Karnage Apocalypse?

4x4Taco

Congrats 4x!!! If the stats are correct, you and one other has been successful at standing boy
I am guessing the other successful hunt was one of the two youth hunts they had. I was the only one that signed in during the 9 day archery hunt. Unless they hunted without signing in. Never saw anyone anyway. That was nice.