State maps

ucfireman

Hi, Does anyone know of a site where you can download state maps, similar to what you get at the visitors center or Rand McNalley?
I cant figure GPS out and want to download maps to the computer or phone for when I dont have internet or cell service. Or an app (android)
Im old school and like maps.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Why not an atlas?

ucfireman

Atlas is fine, (i can use them well) I just dont want a paper one. Im looking for one that I can download to the phone or computer/tablet.
Paper eventually will rip/tear or get wet and hard to read. Plus on the phone or computer I can enlarge/reduce the view, My eyes arent as good as they were.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Batteries don't go dead in a R-M road atlas, either. I keep one in my truck for backup.

Patriot44

Banned
I like paper maps and still spend hours at a time looking at them or on Google maps. I am a good map reader, has been a hobby since I was really young. A couple of friends and I used to map out a summer horseback ride to the Appalachians from the SC low country...would spend hours and hours looking at maps, probably was 9 or 10 years old. Still would love to do t!

Map reading is a lost art. Sad.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like paper maps and still spend hours at a time looking at them or on Google maps. I am a good map reader, has been a hobby since I was really young. A couple of friends and I used to map out a summer horseback ride to the Appalachians from the SC low country...would spend hours and hours looking at maps, probably was 9 or 10 years old. Still would love to do t!

Map reading is a lost art. Sad.
I've always liked maps. Making maps is part of what I do for a living.

JonathanG2013

On the Google Maps apps. Click on the top left where it looks like a group of lines stacked on top of each other. Next click on offline maps. Click on select your own map. You can minimize are maximize the map by zooming in or out with your fingers. Once you got the area you want click download. These can be used for one month offline when you have no signal.

ucfireman

Thanks guys.
I am not that tech savy and have never been able to figure the GPS out.
For me, to sit at the table and with the map spread and map out what roads to take to get from A to B by way of C-X is what I like. I dont really do the topo stuff although I can somewhat read those, I just do road maps. For my mini road trips. Helps when you get lost to see what town your in and how to get back toward where your going.

Capt Quirk

I stopped reading maps, when the print got too small to read. I am grateful for google maps and gps... Until they take you out to nowhere and lose signal.

NOYDB

BANNED
If you stop in at your local truck stop. They have laminated maps in book form for each state. If you want topo maps the DNR has a source that you can get them mailed to you. I used the map book for the entire nation to make deliveries across the eastern half of the US.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I love getting a road map out, when we are traveling and map out an alternate "Off Interstate route". I enjoy seeing new towns and ore interstate routes. If you are traveling a major route, such as US 41 or US 19, and look close you will spot old hotels and restaurant buildings that have long since been abandoned or re purposed as flea market type business. This too is disappearing however.

jeardley

I like maps as well, have a stack of them, always stop at welcome centers and grab one. Used to love trying to calculate an ETA when traveling as a kid. Scale the distance and watch what speed my parents were driving. Most people nowadays are lost without gps. I use it pretty standard myself but can get where I need to be with a map

bilgerat

Senior
I m a man and I don't need no stinkin map or GPS machine telling me how to get where ima wanting to go,. I just point the truck in the general direction of where I wanna go and I eventually get there.
#senseofdirection

NOYDB

BANNED
Peak and tweak your CB radio to ask for local knowledge. Although most travel to work over 200 days a year but can't tell you how they do it.

Patriot44

Banned
For those of you that don't like GPS, should get used to them/learn them. Living in Atlanta Metro, you must to use one to navigate around traffic. Pointing the truck and going doesn't do it anymore unless you have the time.

Example: Three years ago we were 45 minutes behind my SIL on the way to Panama City going through Dothan. My SIL's husband refuses to use apps and uses old fashion GPS. Waze got me to the condo over an hour before them- that is almost two hours difference. They got stuck in traffic behind a bad wreck while we drove the scenic soy bean field route.

sinclair1

For those of you that don't like GPS, should get used to them/learn them. Living in Atlanta Metro, you must to use one to navigate around traffic. Pointing the truck and going doesn't do it anymore unless you have the time.

Example: Three years ago we were 45 minutes behind my SIL on the way to Panama City going through Dothan. My SIL's husband refuses to use apps and uses old fashion GPS. Waze got me to the condo over an hour before them- that is almost two hours difference. They got stuck in traffic behind a bad wreck while we drove the scenic soy bean field route.
I didn't have the confidence to follow Waze thru there this year as we come back from destin. It wanted us to go some crazy routes but we stayed the course and didn't hit any traffic.
We were on roads running 80+ and it wanted us to hit roads running 45 or less. Do you feel confident that is taken in consideration that the flow of traffic may be running 15 over the speed limit.?

The Waze really wanted us to go another way around chipley heading home. I know the way by heart so I didn't alter my route.

Patriot44

Banned
I didn't have the confidence to follow wave thru there this year as we come back from destin. It wanted us to go some crazy routes but we stayed the course and didn't hit any traffic.
We were on roads running 80+ and it wanted us to hit roads running 45 or less. Do you feel confident that is taken in consideration that the flow of traffic may be running 15 over the speed limit.?
I have been using Waze sine 2014 and feel very confident with it. I worked in Donewoody for three years and the commute was ungodly. I have a co worker that lives near by I would almost always beat him home or to work 20 to 30 minutes be he did.

sinclair1

I have been using Waze sine 2014 and feel very confident with it. I worked in Donewoody for three years and the commute was ungodly. I have a co worker that lives near by I would almost always beat him home or to work 20 to 30 minutes be he did.
We use Waze for the police reports and warnings but up to now just go how we know. I also noticed the I-10 speed was even faster this year. Maybe do to the apps warning folks but the flow was running 95mph.

I will see if I can gain some trust in it around town.