Stocked Trout Survivors

FordGT40

Relatively New fly fisherman here trying to learn the ins and outs of fly fishing in North Ga. There are only a couple of streams that are "local" to me here in NW GA and from what I can find on the internet they are stocked a few times early in the year and maybe a time or two in the fall. I'm not one to try and find out exactly when the streams are stocked and be there waiting, I prefer a little solitude and would rather wait until the crowds are gone and then try to get out and learn and maybe catch a couple of fish. I don't mind a skunking now and then, I'm used to it. These streams are really small with not a lot of fishy looking areas but I have been able to locate some fish that have survived the initial fishing pressure, but I can't catch the little rascals. I've tried an assortment of dry and wet flies, nymphs, and even egg patterns, all to no avail. Today I even had one that was actually moving out of the way of my fly as it came by right in front of his face. I'm sure my presentation leaves a lot to be desired, but these fish weren't spooked by me or my movement but would simply move out of the way when my offering floated by. I'm not looking to catch a limit but any ideas on what I might could do to catch one every once in a while?

pjciii

try to attend this and if you do sign up for Big T's drag free drift. ask all the questions you would like.
2018 NGTO FALL FLING

When: Saturday, November 3rd, see various threads for details of specific events. For example, the on-stream clinics start as early as 8:15am this year.

Raffles and auctions begin around 10:00am and conclude after lunch at approx. 1:30.

BBQ will be served for lunch at NOON along with sides and drinks. Bring a side and you are entered into the iron skillet contest. (a major award
wink.gif
).

Where: Buford Trout Hatchery - 3204 Trout Place Rd, Cumming, GA 30041

2nd Special Guest Speaker 10:30am: Zack Moran Torut Biologist with GA DNR. Zack will be available during the fling and will give a presentation at 10:30.

Special Guest Speaker 11:00am: Tim Rainey of the Corps of Engineers. Tim will be speaking on the why and when of the Hooch tailwater generation as well as any other topics involving the Corps.

Pat "Superchub" Mawhinney will be tying flies for any and all folks that are interested.

All who enjoy the sport of trout fishing are invited to please join NGTO for the annual get-together known as the Fall Fling. This event has been going on since about 1999. It is a great place for folks on the message board to finally put faces with names, a place for new folks to meet like-minded trout bums, and a place for old friends to get together and go over the past year's accomplishments and talk about the next year's adventures.

If any members would like to add to the fling by offering donations for raffles, door prizes or even presenting demonstrations pertaining to trout fishing, please contact one of the BOD members...or just bring things with you. It's a very informal event.

The Fall Fling has become the yearly fundraising event for NGTO. Over the years advertisers have been interested in marketing on NGTO. In exchange for exposure on the NGTO message board, funds and merchandise were turned into a win/win situation, as that merchandise is offered to the members at the flings in the form of raffles and auctions. Primarily from these funds we have been able to cover NGTO's expenses and put back extra money into the support of the trout fishing community of Georgia.

Hope to see you there!!

Directions to the BUFORD TROUT HATCHERY: 3204 Trout Place Rd, Cumming, GA 30041
To get to the hatchery, you must drive through the Chattahoochee River Club subdivision off of Hwy 20 just west of the Chattahoochee River. The hatchery is at the end of the 4th street to the right that is called Trout Place Road. Follow the parking directions when you get to the hatchery.

Link to Google Maps below:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Tr....0917561?hl=en

patrick

JonathanG2013

try to attend this and if you do sign up for Big T's drag free drift. ask all the questions you would like.
2018 NGTO FALL FLING

When: Saturday, November 3rd, see various threads for details of specific events. For example, the on-stream clinics start as early as 8:15am this year.

Raffles and auctions begin around 10:00am and conclude after lunch at approx. 1:30.

BBQ will be served for lunch at NOON along with sides and drinks. Bring a side and you are entered into the iron skillet contest. (a major award
wink.gif
).

2nd Special Guest Speaker 10:30am: Zack Moran Torut Biologist with GA DNR. Zack will be available during the fling and will give a presentation at 10:30.

Special Guest Speaker 11:00am: Tim Rainey of the Corps of Engineers. Tim will be speaking on the why and when of the Hooch tailwater generation as well as any other topics involving the Corps.

Pat "Superchub" Mawhinney will be tying flies for any and all folks that are interested.

All who enjoy the sport of trout fishing are invited to please join NGTO for the annual get-together known as the Fall Fling. This event has been going on since about 1999. It is a great place for folks on the message board to finally put faces with names, a place for new folks to meet like-minded trout bums, and a place for old friends to get together and go over the past year's accomplishments and talk about the next year's adventures.

If any members would like to add to the fling by offering donations for raffles, door prizes or even presenting demonstrations pertaining to trout fishing, please contact one of the BOD members...or just bring things with you. It's a very informal event.

The Fall Fling has become the yearly fundraising event for NGTO. Over the years advertisers have been interested in marketing on NGTO. In exchange for exposure on the NGTO message board, funds and merchandise were turned into a win/win situation, as that merchandise is offered to the members at the flings in the form of raffles and auctions. Primarily from these funds we have been able to cover NGTO's expenses and put back extra money into the support of the trout fishing community of Georgia.

Hope to see you there!!

To get to the hatchery, you must drive through the Chattahoochee River Club subdivision off of Hwy 20 just west of the Chattahoochee River. The hatchery is at the end of the 4th street to the right that is called Trout Place Road. Follow the parking directions when you get to the hatchery.

patrick

I will be taking part of Big T's dead drift class. See you at the fling Patrick.

FordGT40

2018 NGTO FALL FLING

wink.gif
).

Hope to see you there!!

patrick
Thanks for the invite, I think I just might be able to make it out to this.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
First, if you can see fish, they likely see you, too, and aren't going to hit. Very, very, very, very seldom do I ever catch a fish that I can see.

Second, assuming that you're not using something like 8-lb test leader, as others have said, your fly may be dragging. If it's not moving naturally along at the same speed as the current, they won't hit it.

oldguy

Sounds like time for an extra long leader and fine tippet. You might want to try swinging a wet fly/flies. Look at Davy Wotten on internet. Try it you'll like it. More fun than a barrel of monkeys!
This from a SWGA black water creek man:).

Bream Pole

From what I read and see on this forum NC Hillbilly is without peer in fishing the water you describe and successfully doing what you are trying to do. From his posts can see that stealth is obviously a must. In the early 60's had a friend who would hike way up into the mountains to the small water to fish for little brook trout. He would at times crawl on his belly up to creek side and make very careful well calculated presentations from what he described to me. He actually talked me into buying my first fly rod outfit and took me to select it with my limited resources. Up to then I had been using ultralight spin fishing equipment which I still enjoy.