Store bought fried chicken

Longhorn 16

Taste like store bought fried chicken, which was sub par at best. On the run today so you gotta do what you gotta do.

NCHillbilly do you have any pointers? I won’t repeat tonight’s meal again.

Others chime in if you wish.

Reactions: Dub

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Buttermilk bath followed by a trip to the flour bowl. Fry in a cast iron skillet, turning till it's the color you want it. Take it out and salt it. That's how mammaw did it.

I like to add a little paprika, garlic powder, and some Tony Chacheres to the flour.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Some store-bought chicken I like. Some I don't. Bojangles chicken is pretty good to me. KFC used to be delicious, but not nearly so much now as it used to be. I've always loved the Broasted chicken and tater logs that you used to get at gas station delis, but it's a thing of the past now. Church's Chicken is horrible.

Soak your chicken in buttermilk for several hours, or overnight is even better. Get some liquid drips in your dry breader if you like a thick, crispy crust. Louisiana chicken breader is a good store-bought breader that has some pretty durn good seasoning, if I use it I usually add some black or white pepper.

Cut breasts in two, or they'll be dry on the outside before they get done on the inside. Cook at a fairly low oil temp, like 215-225.

Dub

I'm new to cooking shicken indoors.....most times I've wanted fried I simply go to BoJangles or Walmart (trust me on this.....they do it up bigtime).

I did some good stuff a couple times on the grill with "grilled fried chicken".

Soaked the raw chicken overnight in my favorite hot sauce and then breaded it with House Autry batter and put it on my 350 degree kamado (heat shields in place) and let it rest there while it came up to proper serving temps....160 in the breasts....& 175 in the thighs & drumsticks.

Struggling to find proof-pics at the moment....so you gotta trust me when I say it was mighty good.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I cook fried chicken one of two ways. Deep fry in the fish cooker or in the big black iron frying pan with grease. Either way, I soak the chicken pieces in Crystal or Louisiana Hot Sauce for a couple of hours. Then toss the pieces in flour, drop in the hot grease and fry till done. Drain well.

Oldstick

or Walmart (trust me on this.....they do it up bigtime).

Lot of great tips above to try. But they must have better cooks than the Perry Walmart. It always tastes like burnt grease and way overcooked.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Store bought is either Big Chic or Church's for me. Occasionally Jack's. No KFC ever!!!! Yukkkkkkkk!

Artfuldodger

I can't even remember the last time anyone I know fried chicken. I like Popeyes pretty good. I've had some good chicken in convenience stores such as Chester Fried Chicken.
The Indian ran convenience stores learned real quick we like fried chicken and tater logs.

Big Chic looks pretty good. Down in South Georgia is a small chain of Carter's Fried Chicken that's pretty good.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
I can't even remember the last time anyone I know fried chicken.

Same here. It's a lost art and I got a hankering for some home cooked fried chicken. I might have to do it myself because Mrs. elfiii is on the health kick and don't allow no fryin'.

Oldstick

I can't even remember the last time anyone I know fried chicken. I like Popeyes pretty good. I've had some good chicken in convenience stores such as Chester Fried Chicken.
The Indian ran convenience stores learned real quick we like fried chicken and tater logs.

Big Chic looks pretty good. Down in South Georgia is a small chain of Carter's Fried Chicken that's pretty good.

Agree. Try the Shell station chicken in Haynesville, GA right between Perry and Hawkinsville. And plus one on the Carter's, probably the best I have ever had, but it has been quite a few years. The Carter's in Adel Ga, was without a doubt, the best, but that was 35+ years ago, so I don't know if it is still there.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

ambush80

Love that chicken from Popeye's. (Not really. But it will do in a pinch). I've been using the Nicodemus method but I like Valentina hot sauce. It has nice body, which means a little thicker crust, and a fragrant flavor. Traditional Filipino style like my Lola (Grandma) made is soaked in vinegar, smashed garlic cloves, salt, and pepper then fried with no flour. You eat it with rice, with your hands, like an island savage. I like that, too. Sometimes a chunk of garlic got in the fryer. It was not a problem.

PopPop

Gone But Not Forgotten
Note to self:
Buy Lard
Buy Cicken.

HermanMerman

Publix actually can fry a decent bird. But some of the best I can remember came from a chevron station in Fort Gaines, Ga. I used to stop there on the way in from hunting each Saturday for a plate... not sure if they are still there.