Store bought fried chicken

specialk

Store bought is either Big Chic or Church's for me. Occasionally Jack's. No KFC ever!!!! Yukkkkkkkk!

im a big chic guy, I have eaten at 6 different ones.....is there one down in Carrolton?

Deer Fanatic

Cool ? Useless Billy Deer Guide
I can't even remember the last time anyone I know fried chicken. I like Popeyes pretty good. I've had some good chicken in convenience stores such as Chester Fried Chicken.
The Indian ran convenience stores learned real quick we like fried chicken and tater logs.

Big Chic looks pretty good. Down in South Georgia is a small chain of Carter's Fried Chicken that's pretty good.
I have eaten probably 27 flocks of Carters Fried Chicken in Ashburn. Best bird you can buy!

MOTS

I have eaten probably 27 flocks of Carters Fried Chicken in Ashburn. Best bird you can buy!
I ate my share in the early 80's at Carter's in Alma, twice a week for about two years driving a furniture truck for Gibson/Mcdonald. They had great burgers too! I think they are still open.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Same here. It's a lost art and I got a hankering for some home cooked fried chicken. I might have to do it myself because Mrs. elfiii is on the health kick and don't allow no fryin'.
I would call a lawyer. Stat. :eek2: Mrs. Hillbilly doesn't not allow stuff. The hillbilly is un-henpeckable when it comes to unhealthy food. :)

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Store bought is either Big Chic or Church's for me. Occasionally Jack's. No KFC ever!!!! Yukkkkkkkk!
I ate Church's chicken one time, my first and last. The people working there were hateful and incompetent when we were ordering. We apparently weren't the right color. We took it to where we were staying and ate it. It tasted awful. I mean, worse than junior-high-school cafeteria fried chicken. Much worse. Mr. Iron Stomach here sat up on the side of the bed all night with heartburn, which I never get, and spent most of the next day enjoying the ambiance of the bathroom. My wife and son had the same experience. I will never eat Church's chicken again. Even if they paid me.

Artfuldodger

Love that chicken from Popeye's. (Not really. But it will do in a pinch). I've been using the Nicodemus method but I like Valentina hot sauce. It has nice body, which means a little thicker crust, and a fragrant flavor. Traditional Filipino style like my Lola (Grandma) made is soaked in vinegar, smashed garlic cloves, salt, and pepper then fried with no flour. You eat it with rice, with your hands, like an island savage. I like that, too. Sometimes a chunk of garlic got in the fryer. It was not a problem.

I too like Valentina with the black label. Still use Crystal as well for beans. Also have a bottle of Sriracha and Green Tabasco.

I could see where that Filipino fried chicken would be good. Most hot wings don't have a flour crust.
Ever try a Filipino All Purpose Sauce made with pork liver? I haven't been able to find it locally. Mang Tomas? I can find it but it doesn't have liver in the ingredients.

This is a sauce made of liver and comes as a brown sauce packaged in a bottle. Love it or hate it, Mang Tomas is the lechon sauce of choice (lechon is the roast pork of the Philippines), and also my choice of sauce for roast pork, fried chicken (yes!), grilled fish, bbq beef!

Artfuldodger

I ate Church's chicken one time, my first and last. The people working there were hateful and incompetent when we were ordering. We apparently weren't the right color. We took it to where we were staying and ate it. It tasted awful. I mean, worse than junior-high-school cafeteria fried chicken. Much worse. Mr. Iron Stomach here sat up on the side of the bed all night with heartburn, which I never get, and spent most of the next day enjoying the ambiance of the bathroom. My wife and son had the same experience. I will never eat Church's chicken again. Even if they paid me.

They cut their chicken up funny to. The pieces don't look right. That reminds me, growing up Mom's chicken plate always had a pulley bone.
I've cut up a lot of chickens but mine don't have pulley bones. At least the way I cut them up. Mom said it was a way of having one extra piece of chicken. She also fried the liver and gizzard.
The neck and backbone was saved for dumplin's. Dumplin's that were flat by the way.

ebryant

Publix is good. The last I bought was $7.50 for a whole bird cut up and fried. I have noticed some Publix are not as good as others. The one in Lagrange is really good.

KyDawg

Gone But Not Forgotten
I think a lot of the drop off of good fried chicken at home, is the chicken we buy at our local grocer. They grow them in like two weeks, shoot em full of all kind of crazy things, and then ship them to a store, with an expiration date, that is prolly 10 days from when the Chicken was killed. The best Fried Chicken I ever had was cooked by my Grandma. She would catch the chickens, chop their heads off, and in some cases catch them again. Hang them for what seemed like a couple of hours on a clothesline. Cooked them that day and cover them up with some dish cloths, and when we got back from Church, they were served for dinner, with biscuits made with lard, a big bowl of gravy and a bunch of garden vegetables such as peas, butterbeans, corn, fresh tomatoes and mash potatoes.

Dub

i very seldom fry it at home.....maybe once every few months.

I will say this......BoJangle's has consitently served up my favorite restaurant chicken since I was a teenager growing up in my hometown in ENC. I was very glad to see them migrate down this way.

Some folks find it too spicy...it's just right in my opinion.

Artfuldodger

I think a lot of the drop off of good fried chicken at home, is the chicken we buy at our local grocer. They grow them in like two weeks, shoot em full of all kind of crazy things, and then ship them to a store, with an expiration date, that is prolly 10 days from when the Chicken was killed. The best Fried Chicken I ever had was cooked by my Grandma. She would catch the chickens, chop their heads off, and in some cases catch them again. Hang them for what seemed like a couple of hours on a clothesline. Cooked them that day and cover them up with some dish cloths, and when we got back from Church, they were served for dinner, with biscuits made with lard, a big bowl of gravy and a bunch of garden vegetables such as peas, butterbeans, corn, fresh tomatoes and mash potatoes.

I can remember hanging them on the clothesline and chopping their heads off. Mom said they would eat dinner on the farm, cover the whole table of food up and go back to the field. Then come in later for supper and uncover the table.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
im a big chic guy, I have eaten at 6 different ones.....is there one down in Carrolton?

Definitely still there! It is in between the Tractor Supply and the gas station on the corner. They can fry a mean bird and some mighty fine livers.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member

Yes Sir! One in LaGrange, one in Forsyth too. I bring up those two due to being near where I like to hunt.

Rick Alexander

This thread brings up some really fond memories. We use to have a small independent chicken place that had the absolute best chicken called Turks on Lawrenceville highway in Lilburn right across the street from the First Baptist Church (location location location). I'm saying that having been raised around family that had some women that could flat out cook some great fried chicken but theirs was absolutely the best. Maybe it was the hot chick that I took there all the time (my wife now for 40 years) or maybe I was just plain hungry after church but man that was some good eatin. Not sure why they closed but they were open for an long time but I believe it closed around 1980. Couldn't have been for lack of business - couldn't get near the place most of the time - and for sure you were in for a long wait after church. Wait didn't matter to me (hot chick remember)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Same here. Another thing is that you can’t hardly find smaller chickens in the store nowadays. The grocery store chickens are huge now- the chicken breasts look like turkey breasts. Hard go cook those through and tender without getting them too done on the outside.