Stories ya probably shouldn't tell

spencer12

As a teen my dad and I would get up at about 3am and drive to Alabama to hunt some family property. One morning after the hunt I set my rifle on the back tire of my Dad's truck to unload my climber. Forgot about it and we drove over it. Didn't realize it until I went to go that afternoon. Luckily nothing was damaged, just a little dirty. I got a pretty good scolding for that one.

Exactly one week later I did the same thing.

CrossCentered

Was hunting out of a climber. Wore all my super cold gear to climb. I got extremely sweaty. Took everything off, cooled down then put everything back on. Now I was freezing and shivering. Then it rained adding to the shake. I didn’t get to sight in my rifle, so my friend sighted it in for me. He informed me he hated my cheap scope. I ask does it hit at what you aim? He answered yes. I heard atleast 8 deer run by the trail road, but only saw fur and tails through an opening. I grab my grunt call and begin hitting it. A deer starts coming towards me from the direction they ran. I know it had to be a buck. It walks through brush, but I never saw the rack, just head glimpses. It stops broadside. BOOOM it drops and doesnt move for 5-10 minutes. Suddenly it struggles to its front feet and starts dragging itself away. I now am getting glimpses of head and neck. I am stunned. Reload shoot a neck shot. It begins making the most God awful gurgling, darth vader breathing sound ever and drags itself out of sight. I climb down as fast as possible, and try finding it. It had crawled almost to a stand my buddy was in, but was still out of sight. I killed it with my knife. 1st shot hit hip and thigh (high angle), 2nd shot hit esophagus. I learned 2 VERY valuable lessons that day. 1. NEVER TRUST ANYONE TO SIGHT YOUR GUN IN FOR YOU, 2. Don’t go cheap on your scope. It was a 270 by the way, LOL I now shoot 308

CrossCentered

Forgot to add when I went to sight the gun in, out of a lead sled, it would hit randomly around the target.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
In my first or second year of hunting. I was sitting high in a climber watching an oak laden finger that ran down to a swamp. It was a few minutes after ten and I was freezing to death so I made my mind up that I was going to leave at 10:30. We'll at 10:25 I had all I could stand so I tied the rope to my sling and began to lower my rifle. With my rifle dangling 5 or six feet below I heard shuffling of dry leaves. Look up to see three does with a nice buck pop up on the finger. I was all tore up. Pulled my rifle up to get a shot at him and missed. The deer went every direction, they didn't know where the shot came from. He was gone. I spotted a doe and shot at her, missed and she ran toward me, shoot and miss again and she runs even closer. Finally dropped her with my last shell.

My Dad's first words were something to the effect of, I hope you got something to show after all that!
That reminds me of one time there were a few of us hog hunting down in south GA. One guy was bow hunting and didn't have a gun, but wasn't having much success getting within bow range of a hog; so on the last day he borrowed an AR-15 from my buddy. He was walking along a fourwheeler road when a little bitty shoat went running across the field and he unloaded a 30-round mag on it, finally hitting it with the last shell.

We all heard him shooting and wondered if he'd been attacked by zombies or aliens or something. He came back in toting this little five pound pig in one hand. My buddy told him that he just shot $40 worth of shells to kill a $2 pig. :bounce:

Lukikus2

Shot a 4 point high and back with my only bullet. Chased him down and knocked him out with a rock. Had no knife on me either. Trying to suffocate him with my my hands over his mouth and nose did not work. Me and him are serious at this moment. I am totally concerned about who was going to over power who for a moment. Then I remembered my belt. That worked. A 3/4 mile walk uphill, 15 mile ride to buy my license, 15 mile ride back with my license and 1/4 mile walk uphill to claim it. I wasn't very prepared :bounce:

Mark K

Banned
Back when those string trackers that attach to your bow came out, I had to have one. Figured it would help when shooting deer in the swamp at our local WMA.
Well, that’s also the time I had seen a demo on this new fangled thing called a grunt call, so I had one of those too.
They both worked...sorta.
Saw a little buck a ways off and grunted to it. It turned on a dime and came straight to me. I got ready and as soon as it cleared some palmettos I released. Perfect shot...straight in the spine.
So here I am, up a climber, tugging on that string, and all I got is a spine shot deer that would kick a little and try to crawl off. Being young and dumb I took that tracker off my bow and tied it to the tree thinking it would hold the buck in place.
You’d think I’d waste another broadhead after having all the other gadgets. Nope...too cheap. I decided I would climb down and just cut its throat.
A spine shot buck that has pretty good use of its front legs and headgear is a lot harder to dispatch with a knife than what I imagined.
It finally ended with me on it back, legs locked around it’s body, and doing my best not to get gored! By the time it kicked its last, we were both covered in blood and the only thing holding it’s head on was the spine.
When I got the deer to the checkin station the GW’s were about to call an ambulance because they thought all the blood on me was mine!
Since that day, whether rifle or bow, if it even twitches it gets another shot!!!

Hillbilly stalker

Back when those string trackers that attach to your bow came out, I had to have one. Figured it would help when shooting deer in the swamp at our local WMA.
Well, that’s also the time I had seen a demo on this new fangled thing called a grunt call, so I had one of those too.
Saw a little buck a ways off and grunted to it. It turned on a dime and came straight to me. I got ready and as soon as it cleared some palmettos I released. Perfect shot...straight in the spine.
So here I am, up a climber, tugging on that string, and all I got is a spine shot deer that would kick a little and try to crawl off. Being young and dumb I took that tracker off my bow and tied it to the tree thinking it would hold the buck in place.
You’d think I’d waste another broadhead after having all the other gadgets. Nope...too cheap. I decided I would climb down and just cut its throat.
A spine shot buck that has pretty good use of its front legs and headgear is a lot harder to dispatch with a knife than what I imagined.
It finally ended with me on it back, legs locked around it’s body, and doing my best not to get gored! By the time it kicked its last, we were both covered in blood and the only thing holding it’s head on was the spine.
When I got the deer to the checkin station the GW’s were about to call an ambulance because they thought all the blood on me was mine!
Since that day, whether rifle or bow, if it even twitches it gets another shot!!!
Maybe ya shoulda hit him with the Ol “Possum Paralizer” like Hillbilly Jim the wrestler used ?

Wayne D Davis

That reminds me of my 2nd cousin. He had shot 4 does but one wasn't completely finished. Rather than waste another bullit he tied her with a cord he used to bring his gun up and down from the tree. I pull up on 4 wheeler to help and he told me I got three here and one more tied up. Sure enough it was bowing that little dogwood over like a big catfish.

Big7

The Oracle
I shot a doe with my Uncle's 38 Special. It's some kind of Police Special by S &W. I was around 10 years old. 30 yards. Old SuperVel, later known as 38+p. DRT !

He loaned it to my Dad years ago. When my Nephews came along and he hid it from them so well nobody can find it after he passed. It's in Mama's house. Somewhere?

Mako22

BANNED
Well this one time I was driving down a forest road with a spot light at night and this big Ol buck walks out and........................................wait maybe I shouldn't tell this one.

Gbr5pb

My worst case of buck fever was on pigs! Friend and me hunting Cohutta back in 79. He jumped pigs out of some thick stuff and they ran by me. I holler pigs before shooting then proceed to shoot 4 times without even looking thru scope! Trying to get another clip in a line of shoats come trotting by! They was still one in chamber! Never hit a thing

j_seph

Drove from N. Fl. to Dodge County and forgot the club keys and my rifle. Drove back home and didn't hunt that weekend.
If I was your other half I would have to say, are you sure you went to deer hunt!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
That reminds me of my 2nd cousin. He had shot 4 does but one wasn't completely finished. Rather than waste another bullit he tied her with a cord he used to bring his gun up and down from the tree. I pull up on 4 wheeler to help and he told me I got three here and one more tied up. Sure enough it was bowing that little dogwood over like a big catfish.
:banana::whip::huh:facepalm::hair::stir::shoot::flag::rofl::clap::cheers:::ke::bounce:
Always wanted to tie one up.
He’d never live that one down around me!

Latest posts