Stradic

CDW

Is a Shimano Stradic ci4 worth the price or would you say you could get a reel just as good for less?

Darkhorse

I have the old model, painted white Stradic 4000, smooth as silk both winding and drag. It's mounted on a Shimano Teramar for saltwater fishing. It's my favorite spinning reel and I've got 7.
Can you buy one just as good cheaper? Probably. But I don't know what it would be.

kirby999

I’ve always been a Shimano fan until this last round of redesigning . All of their new models , because of their compact design cramps my knuckles so bad I can’t use them .
I just bought a Sienna 4000 to see if the larger sizes had enough room for my knuckles . Just barely usable .
If you can try one before you buy one I would .
I’ve gone to Daiwa for most of my smaller reels . I’m about to check out one of their LT models , probably a Fuego LT 1000 . Light weight and Larger line capacity too . Kirby

ripplerider

Does the stradic come with a spare spool? Thinking about replacing my Daiwa which has been a great reel but I've had it for 20 yrs or so and I know its gonna lay down on me someday.

Browniez

Is a Shimano Stradic ci4 worth the price or would you say you could get a reel just as good for less?
Yes it is. By far and away the best spinning reel I have ever owned.

If you do a lot of active presentations like jerkbait fishing the weight is a big factor as well.

Plus it’s got the drag horsepower to actually slow bigger fish down.

Chris at Tech

My 2 cents -- save a few bucks and get the regular Stradic FK. Unless your rod is EXTREMELY light in weight, I think you'll notice that the FK balances better than the CI4

Does the stradic come with a spare spool?

Not any more. I think FI was last series to have the spare spool included.

Coenen

If you're worried about bang for buck, check out the new Daiwa BG's; I'm replacing a lot of my older / lower end spinning reels with them.

BluFish

Just another option for you, Take a look at the Shimano Nasci Reels. Same Hagane Gear and Watertight Seals. It is Not a Stradic.....but, 85% of one ....for half the price. Read the Reviews at Tacklewarehouse and Amazon. I bought one....it won't be my last.

CDW

Well ended up with a Shimano Nasci. After reading the reviews it sounded like a great reel. Stopped by a Dicks today and whole store is 25% off. They only had the display left so they gave me another 10%. I walked out with it for $65....we’ll see how it performs

BluFish

Congrats! you Stole it! For anyone else.....the biggest difference in my new Nasci vs my Stradic..... The Body on the Nasci is Graphite, while the Stradic is "Hagane" (Japanese for Steel). The Bearings are also better on the Stradic. Otherwise, Both reels have the great Drag System and feel and cast similar. The Stradic is a Classic for a reason.....but the Nasci is a real sleeper and might be the best hundred dollar Reel on the market. I Just discovered it myself. Good Fishing.....D

JakkBauer

The Body on the Nasci is Graphite, while the Stradic is "Hagane" (Japanese for Steel). The Bearings are also better on the Stradic. Fishing.....D

Just wanted to say that the body of the stradic is made out of the ci4 composite material, hence the name. The gears in the ci4 are made of hagane steel which is a cold pressed steel. If the reel was made of steel you would not be as pleased with its performance!

I will also echo the comment that ci4 and FK are both good reels, just depends on how much weight you need to balance at the nut.

BluFish

Sorry for any confusion. While Shimano clearly lists the body of the Stradic as "Hagane" (Japanese for Steel)....they have just co-opted the word to describe their cold forged metal process. This is the main difference between the Stradic....and the Graphite bodied Nasci.

From Shimano...."The Hagane Body is made of highly rigid metals such as aluminum and magnesium. With its weight reduced to the limit, the Hagane Body eliminates flex, warp, and distortion of the reel, allowing smooth reeling with little power loss. Furthermore, the body protects the engagement of the Hagane Gear and the Micro Module Gear System from shock, while maintaining smooth operation."