strange encounter this eve

I was way back in the mountains a few years ago trout fishing a little creek. I came around a bend, and there was this hipster feller laying stretched out on a rock in the creek in his drawers and this other man-bun feller was taking pictures of him with a big fancy camera. He even had one of those reflector thingies set up on a tripod to shine light on the underdrawers feller. They looked pretty embarrassed when they finally saw me.
Sounds like the start of a movie I don't want to watch! Are you sure you weren't cast as "unsuspecting trout fishermen"???

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like the start of a movie I don't want to watch! Are you sure you weren't cast as "unsuspecting trout fishermen"???
If I had started hearing “wacka-wacka-wah-wah” music, I would have been “man who produces a pistol and backs away slowly.” :bounce:

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
If I had started hearing “wacka-wacka-wah-wah” music, I would have been “man who produces a pistol and backs away slowly.” :bounce:

Not gonna lie, I was the "man in his underdrawers" in a very similar incident once.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

Possum

Banned
I have permission to hunt a old 12 acre home place in south Hall co, I was in the blind this afternoon and a little after 5 I see this young feller wearing one of those liberal knit beanie hats and pushing a wheel barrow coming twards Me. I waited till he got 20 yards from Me and I popped out of the blind and scared the crap out of him. I asked him what he was doing and He said "I'm a artist and I'm collecting junk to make art projects" . I told him he was trespassing on private property and stealing. He mumbled I didn't know>> I told him that I should call the law but Id give him 30 seconds to dump the items in his wheelbarrow and vacate the property. He just dropped the whole wheelbarrow and took off running!! I didn't mean to scare him that bad but I guess he didn't want to mess with a old fat camo-ed up redneck with a gun!!! On the bright side I got a nice wheelbarrow out of it!!:p:D

I’m curious how you knew that the kid didn’t have permission to be there as well? If he was pushing a wheel barrel I would have made an assumption that he lived next door. When I was a kid we would explore woods everywhere within walking distance of where we lived, didn’t have written permission but we knew our neighbors wouldn’t care. Granted that we would look for junk to make forts and not art, but still, i would have asked the kid first if he has persmission before scaring him away and taking his wheel barrel. A 30 second head start from a redneck with a gun sounds pretty scary to a young feller and could have ended badly. Especially if the boys parents called the landowner and exaggerated details of how it went down.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member
Please let me explain:bounce:

Me and a good buddy of mine were way up a little creek in Montana, slap dab in the middle of grizzly country, miles from the truck. We had split up to fish and before I even wet a line, I stepped on an exposed root to jump across the stream and the root broke and I went in head over heels. I got up, soaked from head to toe, with my hip waders holding a few gallons apiece. Angry at myself and whatever termites that had obviously weakened the integrity of that root, I stomped off upstream to find my buddy TC. I found him and he had a good laugh and I told him I was gonna dry off before I fished on. So there on a rocky bank, I stripped off to my boxers and laid out all of my gear on rocks and boulders to dry in the sun. After fishing a few holes, TC came and joined me and we just sat and chatted, him in his gear and me out of mine. Next thing I know, the bushes behind me started shaking and suddenly parted. My heart stopped, expecting a grizzly or a mountain lion, but it was a bearded hippy looking for a waterfall. I'm just glad he didn't want to join us.

Please let me explain:bounce:

Me and a good buddy of mine were way up a little creek in Montana, slap dab in the middle of grizzly country, miles from the truck. We had split up to fish and before I even wet a line, I stepped on an exposed root to jump across the stream and the root broke and I went in head over heels. I got up, soaked from head to toe, with my hip waders holding a few gallons apiece. Angry at myself and whatever termites that had obviously weakened the integrity of that root, I stomped off upstream to find my buddy TC. I found him and he had a good laugh and I told him I was gonna dry off before I fished on. So there on a rocky bank, I stripped off to my boxers and laid out all of my gear on rocks and boulders to dry in the sun. After fishing a few holes, TC came and joined me and we just sat and chatted, him in his gear and me out of mine. Next thing I know, the bushes behind me started shaking and suddenly parted. My heart stopped, expecting a grizzly or a mountain lion, but it was a bearded hippy looking for a waterfall. I'm just glad he didn't want to join us.
Did the director start the Sanford and Son music after the third guy came "out" of the bushes?

bilgerat

Senior
I have sole written permission to be on the property by My friend who owns it, No one else is allowed to be there and its posted. There was a old house ,barn and a lot of old cars on the property when My friend purchased it. A soon as the word got around that the old man had sold the place and moved out ,local scum bags and meth heads started stealing everything they could get their hands on .My friend had the buildings torn down and removed along with the old vehicles. I told him Id be glad to post and watch over the property for permission to hunt there, I thought the kid was a tweaker looking for scrap metal to steal. that's why I confronted him in a aggressive manner.
Ive since found out he lives a few miles away and he is a artist. Also hes in his mid 20s and is known to the police because he has been warned for trespassing on other properties in the area before.

Last edited:
Statesboro isn't any better...probably worse really
I enjoy the outdoors in Effingham and Bulloch. The transient population is a problem everywhere. Unfortunately most law enforcement can only try to contain the problem. If they aren't begging in the city limits they aren't likely to go to the wma or boat ramp to move them along.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One time I was hiking back in the Mountains in Montana, letting my beard grow and looking for a waterfall; when I broke through some bushes and saw these fellers sitting there on the creek bank chatting and having a big ol' time. They looked like they were really good buddies. One of them was nekkid, and he was also a really strikingly ugly feller to boot.

They had fishing poles, but I never saw anybody fish in their underdrawers in a cold creek in Montana, so it seemed pretty suspicious to me. I got out of there really quick.

What you stated above exactly mirrors what I hear frequently from others in that area.

The good news is the fact that I don't spend ANY time in Effingham County......except driving through on I-16 occasionally. However, I have lots of friends in the Statesboro area (including my Daughter and Son-in-Law in Statesboro) and for several years now, they refer to Effingham as METHINGHAM because of the abundance of drugs and other severe types of crime involved there.

I know that my Daughter and Son-in-law try their best to NOT spend much time there because of the drugs and murders such as you have described.
Funny I live in Effingham and have not heard of any murders and all the meth heads came from Savannah. I admit I have not been in that part of the county in a while. I think I’m going to take a ride and see for myself

Funny I live in Effingham and have not heard of any murders and all the meth heads came from Savannah. I admit I have not been in that part of the county in a while. I think I’m going to take a ride and see for myself
I was fishing at the steel bridge (hwy119) a few years ago when a brawl at the ramp led to a drowning death. I have also pulled up to find a mother and children sleeping on a dirty mattress before dawn at the ramp. But if you ride that way today, I'm pretty sure the water level has improved the area greatly. As far as murders go, the effingham family that buried their teenage children in the backyard hasn't been helping the area get any good press.

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well I used to be one of those meth heads ( sober 7 years ) and it's everywhere but Chatham county was my home. And I would go to effingham and bulloch to get away. So to classify a whole county is an ignorant statement. Just SAYING!!!!
Good for you getting off the stuff! :cheers: Most never do, they only quit when they're dead or permanently in prison.

I was fishing at the steel bridge (hwy119) a few years ago when a brawl at the ramp led to a drowning death. I have also pulled up to find a mother and children sleeping on a dirty mattress before dawn at the ramp. But if you ride that way today, I'm pretty sure the water level has improved the area greatly. As far as murders go, the effingham family that buried their teenage children in the backyard hasn't been helping the area get any good press.
Yea I knew about that one but we’re just overflow for Savannah happens every night

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member