Strange find

Beagles N Boykins

I was rabbit hunting in Oglethorpe Co today and came across a very strange structure. It was made of grass and resembled a pup tent. Small sweegum trees were broken off and weaved in the grass. It was open at both ends with a hole just big enough for a beagle. Closest town is Maxey’s and no home within a mile or two. Any ideas? This thing is well made and the four of us are stumped.

Attachments

• 359972C4-FD62-4DAB-B777-56B0BD2A6C78.jpeg
    359972C4-FD62-4DAB-B777-56B0BD2A6C78.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 344
  • 6A3BA21C-D8D8-4F7E-9971-FC3CCC270103.jpeg
    6A3BA21C-D8D8-4F7E-9971-FC3CCC270103.jpeg
    66.8 KB · Views: 360
  • 6C45652C-84F8-43FB-83CE-14F0628CB9EE.jpeg
    6C45652C-84F8-43FB-83CE-14F0628CB9EE.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 349

Beagles N Boykins

This thing was in a cleared area of broom sage in pines above a big creek bottom. My buddy hunts the land regular and has never seen anything like it. A guy on the neighboring property did see something like it a week or so ago.

Hillbilly stalker

Been any prison escapes in the area ? Illegals ? Looks more like concealment than cover.

Cmcharles

I have no clue what makes them but have found several over the years here in North Florida. Weaved out of wire grass and about the size of a house cat where the hole is.
I’d love to see if anyone has an answer on this.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Debris hut. Someone practicing survival skills, as Timberman said.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Do trappers ever do anything similar to that??

Buck70

Could a bird have made it? I saw a nature tv show one time that had a bird building a nest like this to entice a mate.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Could a bird have made it? I saw a nature tv show one time that had a bird building a nest like this to entice a mate.
Birds don't cut sweetgum saplings. It's a debris hut. They're made small on purpose-small holds your body heat in better.

Beagles N Boykins

The survival practice was our original thought but the distance to any homes is far and there are 6 trail cams on the property with no signs of trespassing. The thing is really too small for anyone but a small child too. I would also think a person would cut the saplings instead of breaking. I’ve reached out to several professional biologists and old time woodsman. No answer yet. Hopefully the trail cam works.