Strange find

Beagles N Boykins

My buddy checked the camera today and still nothing but a few deer. Should be running bird dogs there in a week or two. I’m gonna go back and take a closer look

Beagles N Boykins

My buddy went back to his land yesterday and found another one. It was about half the size of the first one. When he walked up to it a small hog ran from the back of it. Not saying the hog was using it but it was either in it or right behind it. This one was about 250yds from the first one.

Attachments

• A3747EE1-2659-4AD6-965D-A29C86AB31CC.jpeg
    A3747EE1-2659-4AD6-965D-A29C86AB31CC.jpeg
    24.7 KB · Views: 108

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Hogs didn't build that.

Beagles N Boykins

Didn’t think so, but I’m still at a loss on what did. He put a camera on this one too so maybe we’ll get a picture. Like I said I’ll be there in a few weeks. We are gonna release some quail and pheasant. We’ll spend the weekend so maybe we can figure it out.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Didn’t think so, but I’m still at a loss on what did. He put a camera on this one too so maybe we’ll get a picture. Like I said I’ll be there in a few weeks. We are gonna release some quail and pheasant. We’ll spend the weekend so maybe we can figure it out.
It's somebody practicing building debris huts, IMO. They're not designed to sit up in, live in, or any of that. Just to be the minimum size to hold in body heat for someone who is laying down sleeping.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I think a hog may HAVE built that with the cold weather and all...The newborns would freeze to death other wise. I would be expecting a little boom in your piggy sightings. Looks like ya'll got a couple smart ones.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
My buddy went back to his land yesterday and found another one. It was about half the size of the first one. When he walked up to it a small hog ran from the back of it. Not saying the hog was using it but it was either in it or right behind it. This one was about 250yds from the first one.

Post 39 said he saw sows do similar.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
I have seen a wild hog make a bed/nest similar to that when she was ready to farrow (give birth).

Yep. Hog nest for sure. They just use what's available nearby. I've heard of ones being made from straw, sticks and even bricks/stones.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen a good many hog nests. Most hogs that I've met lack weaving and thatching skills, and the planning and architectural skills to go offsite, obtain and trim saplings, carry them back to the site, construct a frame out of them, and then go collect thatching material and weave it neatly through the frame. :)

doenightmare

Gone But Not Forgotten
I've seen a good many hog nests. Most hogs that I've met lack weaving and thatching skills, and the planning and architectural skills to go offsite, obtain and trim saplings, carry them back to the site, construct a frame out of them, and then go collect thatching material and weave it neatly through the frame. :)

Hooves make it a little hard to weave. :bounce:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Or maybe it's a new race of superhogs. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
I read an article on fishgame.com about a guy in texas that raised a baby feral hog and she made a nest just like these when she matured. Theres a video of her sleeping in it on youtube.

tree cutter 08

My votes hog nest. Only reason I say is i found one similar in the mountains in a recent clearcut. It used brush, briars and broom straw. About the same size to. Found a nest against a log one time that hog had pushed up brush and carried it from several yards away. It didn't look as neat though.

littlewolf

Could a pig really break off small sweet gum saplings and weave them into the grass?
Yep. Hog nest for sure. They just use what's available nearby. I've heard of ones being made from straw, sticks and even bricks/stones.

Yep if you are seeing these types of pig dwellings then there are probably no big bad wolves around.

SemperFiDawg

Political Forum Arbiter of Truth (And Lies Too)
Call me crazy, but I'm beginning to think this is legit except for the "weaving".

Hillbilly stalker

Only "hog nest" I've ever seen was built out of river cane. I walked thru an area near a slough and noticed an area about 25 yards around had been cleared and everything was in a flattened out pile. Looked like beaver dam that had been run over with a 18 wheeler. I first walked on past it thinking someone had tried to make a ground blind. I stopped and went back to it, I kicked a bigger stick hanging out and a 150 ish pound sow came straight up like a smallmouth bass with a hula popper. I had looked at thing for several minutes standing right beside it. She grunted as she ran and one little small 5 pounder came out and ran after her. I looked and looked and finally found the little rabbit hole the were entering . That's live action when your totting a bow. New one on me. But that nest was big as a truck bed.