Strange visitor

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I saw one going after something in my English ivy patch about a year ago. He chased around and came up with a chipmunk and flew off!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Would surely eat a snake too! When I see one fly off and I’m fishing, I always seem to get a bit close by.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
Many a poor goldfish went down the throat of a GBH.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Those rascals will eat anything they can catch and swallow.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen them several times out in broomsedge fields and cow pastures catching voles and field mice.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Saw one catching very small turtles. Kind of odd seeing it’s gullet moving after a couple went down.

jbogg

A few years back someone on here posted a trail cam pic of one of those rascals in the middle of the woods with no water anywhere close by. Folks were speculating about what it was up to. Maybe snagging baby birds in the spring.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I was standing on a creek sandbar trying to film my son duck hunting at the crack of daylight. I turned around and saw one standing behind me in the low light. I thought it was one of those little meat eating dinosaurs in one of those Jurassic park movies for a minute.

Redbow

I saw one fighting a pretty big Black Rat Snake once down in SC. The Snake lost the battle and the Heron had a nice big meal, swallowed the Snake right down with no problems..

olcaptain

I thought you might be visiting Crooked Creek!

j_seph

Be careful if you ever find one hung up in fishing line and try to be the good Samaritan

Rabun

I had one fly into my line surf fishing in FLA once. He got all tangled up but never had the hook embedded. He was actually pretty docile...like he knew we were trying to help him. He allowed us to cover his head with a towel, he kept his wings folded up so we could hold him without him flapping. Got him untangled and he hung out with us the remainder of the week. When we came down to surf fish, he would stop by and hang out. Always approached us dune side after the line incident. We named him Hal.

I need to get down and see you Capt on Crooked Creek!