Stripers

TomC

Anybody fly fish for stripers and hybrids?? I'm a little burned out on bass fishing and am about to move down towards West Point Lake. Think I'm going to buy an 8 weight and try my hand at something new. Never caught anything but trout on a fly rod. Looks like it might be fun hooking into something heavy!

BeefMaster

I have been hunting them on the Etowah (below the dam mostly, just now starting to look for them in the lake and above) for a couple of years now. I’ve been using a 7wt (double duty for green bass) with Rio Big Nasty floating lime and a class 5 sinking line. Spots, largemouth, and hybrids are a hoot but a bulldog linesider on the buggy whip is hard to top. I’m finally blessed enough to have a boat and intend to chase em on Lanier this fall/winter.

On the same note, I have dug on the web and not found any info on fly fishing for Striper on Weiss Lake. They have a good population so I am very curious as to why there is no fly fishing for them there. Hopefully some folks will chime in with the answer.

Hurry up and get that new rod and catch some fish!!

TomC

Are there any areas below West Point dam or even up the river on the top side of the lake that you can wade. I'll be boatless for a while (hopefully not too long).

BeefMaster

I’m sorry to say that I am not familiar with West Point or the surrounding area. Hopefully folks that are will point you in the right direction.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Are there any areas below West Point dam or even up the river on the top side of the lake that you can wade. I'll be boatless for a while (hopefully not too long).

Not any on the North side of West Point.

The mtn man

I would think they would need to be shallow or surface feeding to catch them on the fly, I doubt that would be very productive in the summer heat unless you were in a river. Catching them on down lines right now.

TomC

Thanks for the info. It may be later this year or early next year before I have a boat to get out on the lake so that will give me time to tie a bunch and research how guys fish down deep with fly gear. Apparently it can be done but other than having a separate spool with a sinking line I'm not really sure how to go about it in the best way.