Student loans

FishingAddict

Okay student Loans - absolutely stay away from at all costs. First of all unless you go into a profession (Doctor - Laywer - Dentist etc.) where you will have the opportunity to make decent money quickly you will almost never pay them off. .

Even then, it's hard to pay it off. My dad, a retina surgeon (lots and lots of low pay training after med school), could not pay his loans off until he was 41.

Alot of family practice doctors have a really hard time paying off loans. By the time they are done, they may have $160,000 depending where they went to school. And the average FP make $120-130k coming out. Sounds like alot, but when you are paying $2,500 a month in loans, have a new family, and are getting it up the backside with taxes, it's more like you are making $85K for the first 5-7 years- for about 70-80 hours of work a week.

Which is not much, considering the amount of work you have to do to get there- and now you are making about $25 an hour for your work until you get your loans paid off.

And people wonder why FP residency programs are having a hard time filling...

Ludlow75

Just make sure that you get the lowest possible interest rate. Also, try and get a Pell Grant. It can award up to 5,000 and it does not have to be repayed. Before I went to school I researched over 200 scholarships and wrote letters, applied and recieved alot of free money that way. but with the loan, I consolidated with Nelnet and they treat me good as long as I make my payments of 200.00 a month for the next 20 years. Good luck!!!! TRY TO GET AS MUCH FREE MONEY AS YOU CAN