Stumped By Another Snake

Silver Britches

Official Sports Forum Birthday Thread Starter
I know most all of Georgia's snakes, but here's another that has me stumped. I seen this one while out scouting some new woods yesterday. It was a cool day, and even a little cooler in these particular woods. Seen him a little after 4, and he was still there when I walked back by, close to dark. He was about 3 feet long, and had a greenish tint to his belly. He sure has the characteristics of a cottonmouth, but the color differs from anything I've seen. I'm gonna say it's simply a unique looking cottonmouth. What do y'all think?

IMG_1200 sm.JPG

IMG_1202 sm.JPG

You can watch a larger version of the video by clicking the Full scree icon in lower right corner. Once y'all convince me on what type of snake it is, I'll update the video title on my Vimeo page.

Silver Britches

And for the record, Vimeo may offer video suggestions at the end of my video. I have no control over what they suggest, so if anything weird were to show up, it had nothing to do with me. :bounce:

Lee Woodie

I know most all of Georgia's snakes, but here's another that has me stumped. I seen this one while out scouting some new woods yesterday. It was a cool day, and even a little cooler in these particular woods. Seen him a little after 4, and he was still there when I walked back by, close to dark. He was about 3 feet long, and had a greenish tint to his belly. He sure has the characteristics of a cottonmouth, but the color differs from anything I've seen. I'm gonna say it's simply a unique looking cottonmouth. What do y'all think?

View attachment 954094

View attachment 954095

You can watch a larger version of the video by clicking the Full scree icon in lower right corner. Once y'all convince me on what type of snake it is, I'll update the video title on my Vimeo page.

looks like a Florida Green Water Snake

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Round pupil, so its`s not a cottonmouth. That backbone ridge and body shape looks familiar, but the color is strange. Never seen a snake like that. I have no idea.....

Silver Britches

Round pupil, so its`s not a cottonmouth. That backbone ridge and body shape looks familiar, but the color is strange. Never seen a snake like that. I have no idea.....
Well, if you don't know what it is, I don't know who else to ask. And yes, I too noticed the same about the eyes. I stood there for several minutes just looking at him, trying to figure out what type of snake it was. Everything points to a cottonmouth, except the color and eyes. If you look closely, you can see the faint stripes along it's body, similar to that of a cottonmouth. I can't think of any nonvenomous snakes here in Georgia with such a thick body. Plus, all the nonvenomous snakes I can think of, have narrower heads.

I've been all over these south Georgia woods and swamps, and like you, have never seen anything like him before. Who knows, maybe we're looking at a very rare snake for Georgia. :huh:

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Well, if you don't know what it is, I don't know who else to ask. And yes, I too noticed the same about the eyes. I stood there for several minutes just looking at him, trying to figure out what type of snake it was. Everything points to a cottonmouth, except the color and eyes. If you look closely, you can see the faint stripes along it's body, similar to that of a cottonmouth. I can't think of any nonvenomous snakes here in Georgia with such a thick body. Plus, all the nonvenomous snakes I can think of, have narrower heads.

I've been all over these south Georgia woods and swamps, and like you, have never seen anything like him before. Who knows, maybe we're looking at a very rare snake for Georgia. :huh:

Congratulations. You stumped me on a snake. :)

Silver Britches

Congratulations. You stumped me on a snake. :)
Now that has to be a first! Before I even posted this thread, I thought for sure you'd be the one to come along and quickly solve the mystery. :bounce:

And this is what makes it so enjoyable about being in the outdoors. You just never know what type of unique critters you may encounter out there.

Hopefully we can get a positive ID. I would love to know what type of snake it is.

Thanks everyone!

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Now that has to be a first! Before I even posted this thread, I thought for sure you'd be the one to come along and quickly solve the mystery. :bounce:

And this is what makes it so enjoyable about being in the outdoors. You just never know what type of unique critters you may encounter out there.

Hopefully we can get a positive ID. I would love to know what type of snake it is.

Thanks everyone!

When you find out, please let me know. My curiosity is wound up on this one.

Silver Britches

When you find out, please let me know. My curiosity is wound up on this one.
You bet. I will ask around for sure.
Id agree with the flordia green water snake
I looked up several videos and pics, and I don't think that's what it is. The heads are shaped differently, and the Florida snake has more of a pointy mouth. Plus the one I posted about has dull color to him, not as shiny as a Florida water snake. Of course, I could be wrong.

Thanks

Silver Britches

And the spine of the snake I posted looks weird. Almost like it's about starved to death. :huh:

Lee Woodie

then check out the eastern green water snake

ryanh487

Maybe he spent too much time in a pond treated with algaecide, or even someone's goldfish pond treated with malachite green for a bacterial infection in the fish, and it stained his scales?

OPG3

My name is Otis Guillebeau. I know snakes. The snake in question is an aberrant Cottonmouth.
Aberrant being the key word. Y'all don't see me on here very often, because I'm so busy. My brother is active on here and he asked me to identify this snake. Sure, there are "typical" colors and patterns on Cottonmouths and most of us who have walked through swampy woods have encountered them. This one appears ridge-backed, and it's quite likely in what we call "opaque", which is a pre-shed skin dullness. I haven't been able to zoom-in to see the pupils of the snake, but let me explain this: ALL SNAKES HAVE ROUND PUPILS - IN LOW-LIGHT CONDITIONS!
Before you fall out of your chair laughing, know this: CATS also have round pupils - in low light conditions! Elliptical pupils simply have a greater opportunity to make the most of the ambient light. Opaqueness due to a pre-shed skin condition reduces the light "felt by the snake". Even without magnification, one can see the snakes thermosensitive labial pit (there's one on each side - between the nostril and the eye.
With very close observation, you can faintly see that Cottonmouth pattern!

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
^^^^ well versed. I’da said cottonmouth due to the pits,thickness,location and flat ridge above the eye.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
That's a tough one. After looking and looking, I think I agree with the weird-colored cottonmouth. The pits are distinct, and if you look closely, you can see almost a ghost layer of cottonmouth markings, right down to the head stripe.