Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

snooker1

I had my bow dialed in out to 50 yards. I was hitting a three inch circle every night, my routine was three shots from 20, 30, 40, 50 yards or 15, 25, 35, 45 yards five or six times a week for a few months. Tonight after shooting my normal routine I decided to shoot from 65 yards (I shoot Optix XR2 Bow Sight) after a couple of shots i was shooting about half an inch outside the 2 inch dot I was aiming at so I decided to adjust my sight (first mistake) well this made it worse so I adjusted again (second mistake) and again. Next thing I know is I am all out of alignment. I went back and shot at 20 yards and I was way off. By now I am 50-60 shots in and I am not steady, the bugs are eating me up, I am drenched form sweating and very aggravated so I gave up. Now tomorrow I will have to start over again. Should have just left it alone.

I have never shot a deer outside of 38 yards with my bow so I had no reason to do what I was doing.

strothershwacker

Been there done that. I hunt with a recurve now so everything is different. But I shot a compound for 27 years. Each one I purchased got better & better. My range got out to 60 yards after being influenced by western hunters. I've kilt a pile of deer with a compound but will say unapologetically that a spooky old southern whitetail should not be shot at past 30 yards. I don't care how fast or quiet your bow is. If I ever get to elk hunt with Cam Hanes I may reconsider but for Georgia whitetail, keep it close. Add 10 yards for hogs and bear. Hope you get it straightened out. Welcome to the stupid stupid stupid club of which I'm the president! ? or just throw it away and get a stickbow!

Hillbilly stalker

There ya go ! I’m not familiar with that sight....is it a gang adjustment ?

snooker1

There ya go ! I’m not familiar with that sight....is it a gang adjustment ?

No single screw for left to right and the same for up and down. I screwed up because I adjusted the wrong way which put me that much more out of wack so I had to slowly work it back a few shots at a time. The twenty yard pin is a fixed pin and then you adjust the dial for the remainder of the yardage. Once it's dialed it's good. I haven't touched it since last hunting season and I shot it weekly. G5 Optix XR2 is the sight.
OIP.AwY_UZ4A63RWVIJpCe2FngEsEs

wildcats

Been there....got the tshirt.
When I did it dad sat and watched and spoke 1 time about it. Let me learn that lesson on my own...cause he had the tshirt as well.

Hillbilly stalker

I can’t help with that sight. I’m not familiar with it. Ive been thru what you went thru. It’s a head game. What I have learned as a good rule of thumb is this.....if my shooting is way off, first thing I do is take the heel of my hand and strike the side of the limb kinda hard. If anything has loosened...you will hear the noise. I then physically check the rest, my sights and my knocking point, peep sight and kisser button if you use one. If all that checks out, check the specs on the bow and the brace height, if all that is on, put the bow down a couple days. When you pick it back up, remember the basics, push/ pull, back tension, let the pin float and a surprise release. If your anchor is true, you will like what you see. Sometimes it’s as simple as putting the string on the side of your nose instead of the middle of it. That’s what has worked for me.

snooker1

I can’t help with that sight. I’m not familiar with it. Ive been thru what you went thru. It’s a head game. What I have learned as a good rule of thumb is this.....if my shooting is way off, first thing I do is take the heel of my hand and strike the side of the limb kinda hard. If anything has loosened...you will hear the noise. I then physically check the rest, my sights and my knocking point, peep sight and kisser button if you use one. If all that checks out, check the specs on the bow and the brace height, if all that is on, put the bow down a couple days. When you pick it back up, remember the basics, push/ pull, back tension, let the pin float and a surprise release. If your anchor is true, you will like what you see. Sometimes it’s as simple as putting the string on the side of your nose instead of the middle of it. That’s what has worked for me.

Now that I am out of my head it is sighting in just fine. Shot 10 arrows tonight and I have 40 yards dialed in and I put the bow down. I will sight in 50 in the morning then put it in the case until next Saturday.

Latest posts