Sturmgewehr?

GAHUNTER60

I've always wanted one but not enough to shell out the ten grand they go for in bad condition (Just saw where one in excellent shape sold at auction for $40,000). Plus you have to buy a $500 annually Class 3 FFL (full auto license).

But now a local company is making a STG 44 knockoff in semi auto for $1,700. Though it is not a real Sturmgewehr, it sure looks like the real McCoy in photos.

My question is has anybody seen this gun that's manufactured in Alpharetta, Ga, by Hill and Mac Gunworks? Is it worth the asking price?

On a side note, I just saw where in a police gun buyback in Connecticut recently, a women turned in a WWII bring-back Sturmgewehr with Nazi markings picked up by her grandfather after capturing an SS officer in the war. Police placed the value at 40 grand! The article did not say whether of not they destroyed the rifle, or gave it back to the woman. If they destroyed it, They deserve to be prosecuted for crimes against historic preservation!

Last edited:

GunnSmokeer

Is there a transferable pre-1986 weapon select fire original or well-done restoration on the market?

Or are you talking about manufacturing your own new machine gun, with a Class III special occupational tax, to build new dealer samples for LEO testing and evaluation only?

The caliber is obsolete, isn't it? 7.92 x 33 mm.

If you're going to go with a reproduction or something to shoot instead of hang on the wall, get one in 7.62 x 39 instead.

I had a SMG for years, and it quickly lost its appeal. Mine was a 9mm, but I don't think I'd want to deal with the expense of getting a real NFA-approved machine gun of the StG-44 type for myself. I'd rather have the semi-auto version, in a more popular and affordable caliber to boot.

GAHUNTER60

I just did a search on the Connecticut gun and saw were the police gave the gun back to the woman who turned it in to sell at auction. They admitted that destroying such a piece of history would be a sin.

Why do I think that had the same thing happened in Atlanta in a gun buyback program, that STG 44 instead of being a valuable part of history, would now BE history!

pdsniper

I had a real STG 44 for many years, I also saw and talked to the company your talking about at the Shot show last year, the gun actually looks pretty good for what it is they use a HK 91 trigger group on it and its offered in several differant calibers including 8 mm Kurtz

GAHUNTER60

Is there a transferable pre-1986 weapon select fire original or well-done restoration on the market?

Or are you talking about manufacturing your own new machine gun, with a Class III special occupational tax, to build new dealer samples for LEO testing and evaluation only?

The caliber is obsolete, isn't it? 7.92 x 33 mm.

If you're going to go with a reproduction or something to shoot instead of hang on the wall, get one in 7.62 x 39 instead.

I had a SMG for years, and it quickly lost its appeal. Mine was a 9mm, but I don't think I'd want to deal with the expense of getting a real NFA-approved machine gun of the StG-44 type for myself. I'd rather have the semi-auto version, in a more popular and affordable caliber to boot.

Hill and Mac is building the gun in both 7.62x39 and the original 7.92x33.

BTW Privi Partizan is loading the 7.92 Kurz with a 124-grain FMJ bullet, $14.99 per box of 20 at Cabelas.

pdsniper

And I do agree with what was said I was into machine guns for several years had two MG 42's an sty 44, Browning M2 HBAR 50 cal and a Lohti 20mm Anti tank gun and they were fun for a while but lost there appeal if you want a real German Ikon there is a company the builds an almost perfect reproduction of the FG 42 in simi auto in Texas

GAHUNTER60

The FG 42 was pretty much a dead end weapon, as it was discontinued due to the expense of manufacture. The STG 44, on the other hand was the prototype to what has become the most successful assault weapon of all time.

Years ago, I worked at a gun shop that had many G 43 semi automatic rifles run through for less than 200 bucks each. I wish I'd picked up a couple for my collection.

ryanh487

I've always wanted one but not enough to shell out the ten grand they go for in bad condition (Just saw where one in excellent shape sold at auction for $40,000). Plus you have to buy a $500 annually Class 3 FFL (full auto license).

But now a local company is making a STG 44 knockoff in semi auto for $1,700. Though it is not a real Sturmgewehr, it sure looks like the real McCoy in photos.

My question is has anybody seen this gun that's manufactured in Alpharetta, Ga, by Hill and Mac Gunworks? Is it worth the asking price?

On a side note, I just saw where in a police gun buyback in Connecticut recently, a women turned in a WWII bring-back Sturmgewehr with Nazi markings picked up by her grandfather after capturing an SS officer in the war. Police placed the value at 40 grand! The article did not say whether of not they destroyed the rifle, or gave it back to the woman. If they destroyed it, They deserve to be prosecuted for crimes against historic preservation!

You do not have to maintain an 07/02 FFL to own an original stg44, it's a simple, one time, $200 NFA tax stamp to transfer it to your ownership if you can find one that you want to buy.

If you want to create a reproduction, or convert a semi-auto to full auto, then you would need your 07/02 FFL and it would be a non-transferable weapon, meaning only FFLs and LEO/Millitary could take possession of it.

There are semi-auto modern reproductions available for much, much less than $10,000. I believe a company in florida is working on them now.

pdsniper

yes the first model FG 42 was expensive, the 2nd model was much improved and was a loved by the German Paratroopers but had huge muzzle flash and now a day they are worth hundreds of thousands of dollars had a chance years ago to buy a re watt for 5000.00 it was a second model wish I would have bought it now big mistake, I did love my STG 44 it was very smooth to shoot in the Movie Fury with Brad Pitt he carries one in the tank with him

rayjay

There are some cool youtube videos of eastern European or Russian metal detectorists searching old eastern front battle sites and finding buried STGs. The guns are in various states of rusted solid but still pretty cool artifacts. I bet the authorities still go haywire about civilian owned full auto weapons even it there is no chance of them being made functional. Probably have to be demilled and/or museum held.

georgiaboy

To answer the original question, I have not seen one. A good friend happened to mention these to me a few weeks ago. He has seen the repros and knows the owners. He said the reproduction is very nicely done but he hasn't fired one yet. I like that it's a local company too.