subs!

ross the deer slayer

I don't know hardly anything about subs or what I need with them to install, but for 150 or less, what can I get? I don't wanna break windows but I REALLY like lots of bass...I guess this is the right place to ask this?

Btw I drive a 07 silverado crewcab and I keep stuff under the back seats so I don't want a giant box on top of the seats so a smaller one on the floor would be good

Thanks guys

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
It's going to be difficult trying to find a box that will fit between the seasts or even on top of seat. I used to have an extended cab '95 F150 and had a box made to fit between front seat and back seat, it went from the passenger side door to the edge of the drivers side seat (that way I could lean the drivers seat back) I was only able to use one 10 inch sub. So I bought one of the best 10's I could afford with a strong single channel amp. It had some serious bass to it. If that is what you are doing with a box look into just a single speaker that can take a alot of wattage. A good rule of thumb is the bigger the magnet the better the speaker, also take into consideration the bigger the magnet the deeper the box has to be. Also look at a sub with a dual voice coil and one that is capable of going down below one Ohm, also pay attention to the travel of the speaker. I am a fan of JL Audio personally, they just take a beating from a strong amp. speaking of amps, I like to get an amp that goes higher that the speaker is rated so you can keep the amp turned down a little. It keeps the speaker sounding clearer. Kind of like when you take your radio and turn it as loud as it goes it starts getting distorted, but turn it down just a bit and the sound is alot clearer. Don't let cheap products fool you, you can buy a cheap speaker rated to 400 Watts, but in actuality only takes a true 200 Watts, there is kind of a lot to explain with that, but cheaper amps and speakers rate at the maximum watts they can take for a very short time, and high quality ones rate their stuff as a true RMS Watts. Honestly, unless you find someone how is desperate for a buck, I don't think you are going to be anywhere near happy with a system for $150s. If you just want good quality sounding music look into replacing your factory speakers with good quality replacements. I have'nt really done much stereo work in several years, kind of get out of it a little when you start a family, but I have installed alot of systems in my younger days. it is alot of science incolved when calculating airspace and speaker size and watage. Also if you decide to install the system yourself don't go cheap on your power cable from the battery to the amp, and make sure you install a fuze withing 12 inches from your battery, I have seen cars catch on fire because someone decided they did not need a fuse, lol. also install the poer cables on the opposite side from your audio cables, they can pick up EMI very easy and you will here your alternatoryin your speakers, when you rev up the motor the whinning will get louder the faster the motor revs, lol. I could go on and on, and honestly think I gave you more than you asked for, but I enjoy this stuff, lol. If you want to know anything else feel free to send me a pm.

ross the deer slayer

Wow! Thanks man I didn't know the first thing about getting subs. I really apppreciate it! How much was your setup? And what was it?

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
It's been close to ten years since I bought my system, but I think I had around $900 in mine. The sub was a jl audio W3 10 inch, and a Kenwood 400watt mono channel amp. I built the box myself and also did the install myself.

southernboy2147

your not going to get anything quality with 150 dollars... my jvc amp 800 watts cost over 100 dollars, i have a 1,000 what amp off brand i bought for 50 used. my box alone cost 250. then the Memphis 12's were 150 a piece i think. dont go for just bass, crappy speakers in a crappy box is going to sound horrible. save up a little extra dough and by you either 2 Memphis 10'sor 2 audiopipe competition 10's (there the blue ones) i promise you that you wont be sorry... but even the best speakers wont sound good in a crappy box. make sure the box is built right.

side note my box for my ranger for 1 10 cost me $40, but only becasue the buddy that built it done me a favor, he noramlly charges over 100 for the box that i have... alot is in the box i promise you this

southernboy2147

also if you have a box build or build on, dont build it out of nothing but MDF board... if you buy a box to go under your seat the hard plastic ones work great as well

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
also if you have a box build or build on, dont build it out of nothing but MDF board... if you buy a box to go under your seat the hard plastic ones work great as well

I used 3/4" mdf on all of my boxes, if you don't have a table saw, don't waste you time. Everything has to fit tight, and caulk will just blow out. Also with mdf wood, make sure to predrill pilot holes for all screws or the wood will expand and split.

See the "Ear Ringing" thread on this forum.

Huh, WHAT DID YOU SAY!

southernboy2147

I used 3/4" mdf on all of my boxes, if you don't have a table saw, don't waste you time. Everything has to fit tight, and caulk will just blow out. Also with mdf wood, make sure to predrill pilot holes for all screws or the wood will expand and split.

great advice. i used lexar before and it held up okay... i also used hot clue on my box for my 10 it it worked really well

lbzdually

Banned

southernboy2147

you can put 2 twelves but the box is gonna stick out alot from under the seat.

i personal think 2 10's sealed sounds better. while ported is louder, i just dont like the sound as much, not as clean

lbzdually

Banned
you can put 2 twelves but the box is gonna stick out alot from under the seat.

i personal think 2 10's sealed sounds better. while ported is louder, i just dont like the sound as much, not as clean

Then you haven't heard a properly ported box. I have a single 8 ported in my truck right now running off less than 300 watts and it is as quick as any sealed sub and with the sub tuned low, it also hits low notes that a sealed sub would need 500 watts and lots of EQ to hit.

lbzdually

Banned
Also when you take into consideration the price, I would rather have one high quality 10 ported rather than 2 low quality 10's sealed.

Sterlo58

I like firehouse subs actually.......oh....sorry...wrong thread. :D

southernboy2147

Then you haven't heard a properly ported box. I have a single 8 ported in my truck right now running off less than 300 watts and it is as quick as any sealed sub and with the sub tuned low, it also hits low notes that a sealed sub would need 500 watts and lots of EQ to hit.

your right, sorry i was thinkin about the vented boxes.

ross the deer slayer

Thanks guys! I guess I was under the impression that I could get a new AR15 for under 200$ haha! Amazon must have been a bad place to start :bounce:
So I need 2 subs, amp, box, good wiring and what else? I know a guitar amp is a speaker so i'm guessing this amp is the same function?

southernboy2147

Thanks guys! I guess I was under the impression that I could get a new AR15 for under 200$ haha! Amazon must have been a bad place to start :bounce:
So I need 2 subs, amp, box, good wiring and what else? I know a guitar amp is a speaker so i'm guessing this amp is the same function?

i think i get what your question. the amp is what pushes the sub.

mattech

Deranged Throat-Puncher
O I gotcha. I appreciate it guys

no problem, makes me think of the old days in college playing with these things. I had a friend who had an old toyota pickup dropped, he had 4 Fosgate 15's. It was actually painfull to be in his truck. We blew the seal out of the windsheild one time when the windows were rolled up. :cool: