Subsoiler Advice

GAbuckhunter88

I’m needing to buy a sobsoiler to break up my plots this spring before I apply lime. I have a 33hp 4wd drive tractor. Can anyone recommend a subsoiler or point me in the right direction?

Do I need one with a shear pin?

I’ve looked at the ones at tractor supply. Are they any good?

Any other advice for my endeavor?

FootLongDawg

Most of the implements I have seen at TS is not very stout. Probably find a better one on the market bulletin or craigs list etc. The only advise I can give is go SLOW. You will be able to figure out pretty early how far to sink the blade without raising up the front of your tractor. Also, be very careful around the edges of your plots if you have standing timber. Roots run out under the surface and will stop your subsoiler dead still. Be safe.

cjones

I bought one of the TSC models this year. Used it on a 22hp MF GC1710 subcompact tractor. I was able to run the shank almost down to the cross-member on my second pass through a garden spot that, as far as I know, has never been broken that deep.

Smaller tractor will not break through roots, but as long as you don't hit big rocks or big roots, the smaller HP tractor should help 'protect' the subsoiler.

Lilly001

X2 on going slow.
I used one on my 32 hp Kubota 4wd and was doing great in my Fl sandy soil. As I was almost finished I kicked up the speed.
What could go wrong?
I hit a buried stump and bent it like a pretzel.
Lucky for me the subsoiler was the only casualty.

1gr8bldr

Find a "Fred Cain" on CL. It has a shear pin. I have recently bought a heavy duty coulter to attach to mine to cut the sod in front of the main beam. This is going to help that little bit that sometimes builds up on the main beam.

1gr8bldr

My old Fordson Super Dexta pulls my subsoiler perfectly . Water in the tires and the lift set to lift slightly when it senses a hangup

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
But you have that soft soil with a 50+hp tractor.:fine: My little 30 Hp 2wd just spins the tires with a subsoiler.Talbot Co has more rocks and roots than hard packed red clay.:rofl:

LOL, don't think I have ever used those words, "soft soil" to describe what I plant in!! The subsoiler can make my tires spin too when I connect with some of those rocks!!!!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
LOL, don't think I have ever used those words, "soft soil" to describe what I plant in!! The subsoiler can make my tires spin too when I connect with some of those rocks!!!!

Its easy when you plant on old garden spots.::ke::cheers:

treemanjohn

Banned
If you're just doing plots why not buy a field cultivator? They're much more effective and faster than a subsoiler.

GAbuckhunter88

If you're just doing plots why not buy a field cultivator? They're much more effective and faster than a subsoiler.

Will that break the hard soil that I am trying to accomplish? I am still learning my way through different implements and what’s best for my needs with my tractor.

What size cultivator should I look for my size tractor?

Canuck5

Subsoiling is "vertical tillage", which is intended to fracture the soil, as deep as possible, to break up any hardpan that exists. Fractured and broken up hardpan, allows rain water to go deep in to the soil and sort of saves it for later vs having it run off the top of your ground, to go elsewhere.

A fractured soil, also allows the roots of whatever you plant go deeper, to pull up minerals from below, to be used by the plant, or to be used later for the next crop.

You will also find that if you sub soil, fracture the hardpan and allow 2 months worth of rains penetrate your soil, working up your ground will be a lot easier, for a longer period of time.

The only caution for subsoiling, is don't do it when it's too wet, because you will just slice into the soil and not do any good. Doing it too dry and it will be extremely hard to pull with your 33 hp tractor, but it all depends on the type of soil you have. Most of my soils are hard red clay.

Canuck5

Mine is the Fred Cain model with a shear pin. You're welcome to borrow it and see how it does with your tractor, but it might be January before I can bring it back up here.

dick7.62

You're gonna need a lot more than 35 hp to pull a subsoiler

I subsoiled many acres with a 30 HP tractor. The only time I had problems was when I hit a 6" root. It would stop the tractor instantly. It never hurt the subsoiler. Mine has a shear pin. I now use a stronger tractor but that was all I had then.

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
It is a very slow process to subsoil.Things can break quickly. Make sure you have extra shear pins on your subsoiler.

GAbuckhunter88

Mine is the Fred Cain model with a shear pin. You're welcome to borrow it and see how it does with your tractor, but it might be January before I can bring it back up here.

Wow that is an extremely nice offer. If I have not found one by then I would love to take you up on it.