Summer temps can stress black bass

Beagler

I wonder how long Lampern lays awake at night figuring out what contraversial thread he can start next.

LTZ25

Why the bad feeling for tournament guys , like y'all love to say on here , he caught it legal its his to eat , its safe to say 100 percent of the fried ones don't survive .

howboutthemdawgs

Why the bad feeling for tournament guys , like y'all love to say on here , he caught it legal its his to eat , its safe to say 100 percent of the fried ones don't survive .

Why? Because we have a responsibility as sportsman to be stewards of our resource. We shouldn’t take that lightly. We have the ability to make or break a resource, and we have broken many. Just because something is legal doesn’t always mean it’s in our best interest as a collective group. We should strive to do more than the minimum. Laws are usually reactive anyway so by the time a resource is stressed and a law is changed or made the damage can be catastrophic. That’s my reason why.

fish hawk

Bass Master
Amen. They love to defend their actions come **** or high water.

Does taking a fish out of its home for an extended period of time, placing in water that is generally considerably warmer than where it was living, riding it around getting the crap beat out of for 5-6 hours, putting a cull tag in its lip, taking it out to measure several times a day, taking it to a weigh-in laid in a sack with several other fish, holding up the biggest one or two so you can post a pic on social media so you can become sponsored (aka 10% off at Hammonds), and then chunking it back in the lake miles away from where it was caught. Nah...probably doesn’t mess with the fish at all in comparison to the guy who catches it and immediately returns it back to the water.
I dont know why they just cant man up and admit that it puts stress on the fish?They know it does yet they continue to defend it tooth and nail.

fish hawk

Bass Master
T
At least when people keep them to eat they arn't going to waste

Last edited:

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Would anyone be willing to say so if it did?

Not the largemouth tournament fisherman. Most striper fisherman will, and that is why a lot of us quit fishing once the water temps reach 80 degrees.

There is a grass roots effort by bass tournament guys at West Point to try to stop stocking stripers. According to them, they are the sole downfall of the largemouth fishery, although numerous studies show that is not the case. Within all the blame they place for whatever it is, they never once have taken efforts on their part to help the fishery. At least the Hammond's series on Lanier has gone to a 3 fish limit during the summer.

Coenen

On Lake Murray in SC stripers now routinely die when caught during the summer so you must keep your limit anymore. No release
Is that posted / enforced, or just a suggestion?
Not the largemouth tournament fisherman. Most striper fisherman will, and that is why a lot of us quit fishing once the water temps reach 80 degrees.

There is a grass roots effort by bass tournament guys at West Point to try to stop stocking stripers. According to them, they are the sole downfall of the largemouth fishery, although numerous studies show that is not the case. Within all the blame they place for whatever it is, they never once have taken efforts on their part to help the fishery. At least the Hammond's series on Lanier has gone to a 3 fish limit during the summer.
I've heard that we lose a ton of the stripers taken out of Lanier during the summer months as well, but you don't often see that sentiment put out in the open. The fishery generates a lot of money for the area. Even if summer fishing hurts the fishery, fishermen not buying bait and tackle hurts wallets. Wallets being the more important of the two considerations.

I had someone hit me with the "Stripers killed Lanier's LM fishery" argument the other day. Gave me a chuckle. As if there aren't a bunch of other (more reasonable) factors that contributed to us seeing fewer LM taken out of the lake.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The reason for the decline in largemouth and smallmouth fisheries in most lakes where it's happened is because of tournament guys illegally stocking spots and Alabama bass, not the stripers.

Coenen

The reason for the decline in largemouth and smallmouth fisheries in most lakes where it's happened is because of tournament guys illegally stocking spots and Alabama bass, not the stripers.
...and so opens can of worms #2 ::gone:

JackSprat

I dont know why they just cant man up and admit that it puts stress on the fish?They know it does yet they continue to defend it tooth and nail.

I don't have anything against tournaments, per se. If it was me in charge of the world, I would limit them somehow in the summer, but there's too many $$$ floating around for that to happen.

But I share the same sentiment - why don't they man up, take responsibility for what they are doing (killing bass), and come up with a more responsible solution. "Releasing" an entire days catch into 3 foot deep, 90 deg.. polluted water at a ramp is not a responsible use of the resource.

Some states have a "no cull" rule by law - I'd like to see some tournaments try that. It's certainly not good for the fish to ride around in a live well all day in 90+ deg weather.

The mtn man

I don't care what the tournament guys do on chatuge, since their mostly catching spots, I will keep my limit of spots if I can catch them, but I eat them. I was at the Gibson cove ramp the other day and it smelled awefull because of the dead bass, they should offer them to someone to eat if their not going to make it after released though. I would take them, fillet them and give them to someone who can't go fish. It does seem like a waste, but I'm not going to tell them they shouldn't do what they love to do.

ventilator

False. Striper can be released at lake murray. And also, "definition of take does NOT INCLUDE catch and release".
Says it right in the regulations for Murray. They need to write this rule MUCH more clearly. Huge controversy over this. If i were to ever be ticketed for releasing a striper, it would be in court right away.