Summer Time Hogs

Davexx1

The first shot is the important one. Make that one count regardless of the gun used. Bolt guns are usually more accurate than semi autos, but at squirrel hunting distances the difference is likely very minor.

The semi auto is just more fun to shoot and occasionally the fast follow up shots come in handy for hogs, coyotes, etc.

Thread starter #22
Ok, we've talked about weapons, seasons, bugs, and snakes. Now lets discuss WMAs. Do I go back to Oaky and Ocmulgee ? I'm thinking about trying Dixon Memorial. Anyone hunted hogs there before ?

mguthrie

Ok, we've talked about weapons, seasons, bugs, and snakes. Now lets discuss WMAs. Do I go back to Oaky and Ocmulgee ? I'm thinking about trying Dixon Memorial. Anyone hunted hogs there before ?
Take a look at beaverdam WMA also.

I have a 512 22 mag. It shoots fast and pretty good, but not as tight groups as a good bolt gun. My 512 is one of the first with dual recoil rods and it has a real rough trigger. They fixed that problem in the newer guns. I have never had a jam, fail to fire or eject. A good trigger job would probably help my gun a lot.
I wouldn’t worry about super tighht groups really. I hunted small game last year with a .22 mag and all of my shots were inside of 50 yards, actually most were inside of 30. I usually try to stalk in pretty close and get a clean headshot. 22 mag is more than adequate for close headshots. Just go for between the eye and ear, or between the eyes.

Last edited: