Summer Time Hogs

Davexx1

The first shot is the important one. Make that one count regardless of the gun used. Bolt guns are usually more accurate than semi autos, but at squirrel hunting distances the difference is likely very minor.

The semi auto is just more fun to shoot and occasionally the fast follow up shots come in handy for hogs, coyotes, etc.

FrChs28

Ok, we've talked about weapons, seasons, bugs, and snakes. Now lets discuss WMAs. Do I go back to Oaky and Ocmulgee ? I'm thinking about trying Dixon Memorial. Anyone hunted hogs there before ?

mguthrie

**# 1 Fan**OHIO STATE**
Ok, we've talked about weapons, seasons, bugs, and snakes. Now lets discuss WMAs. Do I go back to Oaky and Ocmulgee ? I'm thinking about trying Dixon Memorial. Anyone hunted hogs there before ?
Take a look at beaverdam WMA also.

chrislibby88

I have a 512 22 mag. It shoots fast and pretty good, but not as tight groups as a good bolt gun. My 512 is one of the first with dual recoil rods and it has a real rough trigger. They fixed that problem in the newer guns. I have never had a jam, fail to fire or eject. A good trigger job would probably help my gun a lot.
I wouldn’t worry about super tighht groups really. I hunted small game last year with a .22 mag and all of my shots were inside of 50 yards, actually most were inside of 30. I usually try to stalk in pretty close and get a clean headshot. 22 mag is more than adequate for close headshots. Just go for between the eye and ear, or between the eyes.

Last edited:

FrChs28

On another note, I keep hearing about how invasive these hogs are, and the inability to control them. I hunted public land in N. Carolina, and last February in Georgia. Nothing for nothing, but the sign I saw was scarce. Is the problem mainly on private land ? If both public and private, am I just hunting in the wrong places ?

oldguy

must be the wrong place....between traps and night hunting a buddy of mine has killed 125 the first 3 months this year on his place...he is on the edge of Chickasawhatchee...strong breeding ground there
More like a sanctuary - as are all the WMAs with their restrictions on weapons, seasons, baiting etc. The DNR should declare war on the hogs and let you kill them anytime, anyway...
Just like your friend, private landowners work like crazy to reduce the populations, meanwhile the hogs in the WMA sanctuaries continue to reproduce and spill over onto private land. Not to mention the tremendous damage they do to native wildlife and habitat on the WMAs. Hogs are a way yonder bigger nusiance than coyotes and should be exterminated. Let folks trap 'em, run 'em with dogs, bait 'em, shoot ' em day and night, riding in their trucks, year-round, just kill hogs period.

transfixer

On another note, I keep hearing about how invasive these hogs are, and the inability to control them. I hunted public land in N. Carolina, and last February in Georgia. Nothing for nothing, but the sign I saw was scarce. Is the problem mainly on private land ? If both public and private, am I just hunting in the wrong places ?

I've found hogs are hard to pattern, except they seem to stay within a few hundred yards of a constant water source/wet area, on our lease they are on the bottom end and backside of our property, we have a creek on the bottom end, and the backside is low lying, ground stays wet most of the time, they are never seen on the opposite side of our lease, which is higher ground.

FrChs28

More like a sanctuary - as are all the WMAs with their restrictions on weapons, seasons, baiting etc. The DNR should declare war on the hogs and let you kill them anytime, anyway...
Just like your friend, private landowners work like crazy to reduce the populations, meanwhile the hogs in the WMA sanctuaries continue to reproduce and spill over onto private land. Not to mention the tremendous damage they do to native wildlife and habitat on the WMAs. Hogs are a way yonder bigger nusiance than coyotes and should be exterminated. Let folks trap 'em, run 'em with dogs, bait 'em, shoot ' em day and night, riding in their trucks, year-round, just kill hogs period.
I agree, they get carried away with the regs. Makes you wonder.

FrChs28

I've found hogs are hard to pattern, except they seem to stay within a few hundred yards of a constant water source/wet area, on our lease they are on the bottom end and backside of our property, we have a creek on the bottom end, and the backside is low lying, ground stays wet most of the time, they are never seen on the opposite side of our lease, which is higher ground.
Yes, unlike deer, the sign just tells you where they were. Doesn’t always mean they’ll be back.

transfixer

Yes, unlike deer, the sign just tells you where they were. Doesn’t always mean they’ll be back.

I've found on our lease, they seem to stay around one general area for weeks at a time from late January till sometime in March, usually during the rainy time of the year, after that its anyone's guess as when they'll come and go, its like they eat everything in that area, and are gone for a month or two before they come back around, but I'm in Northeast Ga, I'm sure the southern part of the state is different.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE

What’s much worse than hogs tends to be the people you just invited day and night year round riding in their trucks shooting at night and tearing in a new mud hole road unfortunately.
Lotta folks rather act like fools instead of hunters.
This would definitely not help the land or hunters.
Every rule the Ga DNR has on a wma usually has a better reasoning behind it.
Get them during seasons is smarter thinking.

FrChs28

What’s much worse than hogs tends to be the people you just invited day and night year round riding in their trucks shooting at night and tearing in a new mud hole road unfortunately.
Gotta admit, you do have a point there. Sometimes we're our own worst enemies. That's why it's so important what we do out there, and how we portray ourselves to the public.

oldguy

From what I see "folks acting like fools" on WMAs doesn't have a season.!

Jester896

Senior Clown
More like a sanctuary

instead of Chicasawhatchee WMA... they should rename it Chicasawhatchee Swamp WMA

not real sure anyone would have trouble finding a water source there.

The one I mentioned above is on the West end...got a call from another friend on the East end and right now he is seeing hogs all times of the day on his place....I passed by at 3:30 and could have sworn I saw one standing in the road between the planted pines from the highway as I passed.

fixin to find someone to make me some sausage close by.

chrislibby88

River Bend and Beaver Dam have a ton of hogs.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I think DNR may have done something after deer season that ran some of the hogs out for a little while....maybe they will work their way back in soon.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
I think DNR may have done something after deer season that ran some of the hogs out for a little while....maybe they will work their way back in soon.

They set hog traps out of season on wma’s with known hogs.
Then the meat is given to hunters for the hungry.
Or so I read a few months back.

Is this true?

Jester896

Senior Clown
There aren't any Hunters For The Hungry locations that I know of close to there. I have checked for years. This time of the year they will spoil pretty quick.