Sun Flowers

mickbear

my grandfather did it my father did it i'v been doing it for over 25 years and i don't have a clue! just always done it.because all i do is collect the seeds and spread them around for the birds to eat,maybe that is why folks do it.

bat

All day long the Sunflower gather Sunlight so when darkness comes they can shed light over the garden thus providing more Sunlight to nourish the plants... :bounce:
No really I think it has to do with helping with the pollenation of the garden plants. Sunflowers draw a lot of bees which in turn brings them to the flowering process of the garden plants to help them produce. :huh:

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Most gardeners have a fear of failure. They are inclined to grow plants which offer a good chance of success. Sunflowers almost never fail to produce an impressive show of color with a minimum of care.

A row of sunflowers produces a long lasting and showy backdrop for one's garden.

I like em', and so do the Goldfinches.

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Something to think about. Sunflowers are such heavy producers of pollen that bees may continuously work the sunflowers while completely ignoring your squash, cukes, beans, tomatoes etc.

The pollen is taken back to the hive where it is fed in mixture with honey to the developing bee larvae.

REDBONE

Sunflowers

Thanks for the info. I especially like the responce " Cause my daddy did it, my Grandaddy did it!" Thats why we do a lot of things, cause it works . (Mr. Holt, your garden sure looks good. I've got to stop by.)

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you could stop by now I could give you a "mess" of Silver Queen corn and tomatoes.

Know what a "mess" is??

DeltaHalo

MMMMMMMM Silver Queeen!!
I will be passing through Friday evening on my way to Big Creek. MMMMMMMMM:bounce:

shotgun

ah" a mess. That is what would make a man and his family a meal.
Those terms are not used much anymore like a dash of this and dose of that.
Remember when syrup buckets were lunch pails?