Sunday eaten'.....what's simmering 'round yer way ? Also, cast iron suggestions appreciated, too.

Dub

Sipping a strong pot of java this morning and contemplating what type of grub we'll cook up today.

Quick dice on a Vidalia and into the trusty cast iron skillet with some evoo, S&P and roostershire sauce. Gonna let 'em caramelize a bit and and break out a non-stick skillet (that I hate using) for omelets. Will slice up a bella or two and add along with some cheese.

I'd use the same cast iron skillet for the entire cook....but it's just not very user-friendly. The surface isn't smooth as I'd like it to be for eggs & such. Nothing built up on it....it simply never was that smooth to start with. Basic Lodge skillet from Academy. I think I'm about ready to break out the orbital sander & some type of sandpaper and work on this thing.....then re-season afterwards. I like having one skillet that simply lives on the stove top...never put away. Used....rinsed out...seasoning added and left out.

I'm about ready to throw this non-stick garbage into the trash. :rofl:

Thinking about adding a new.....larger skillet, too. Quality cast iron. Slick sooth surface to work with. I'd appreciate any suggestions you have for gear you've used that works well. Unfortunately I don't have any heirloom cast iron handed down to me. Maybe I should start my own couple pieces for my son to enjoy one day.

Gonna try a dish for suppatime that I've never made.....one of my wife's childhood favorites that her mom would throwdown with.....one of the ones I never cared for......we shall see how it goes. I"m gonna take indecent liberties with it and hope it comes out less bland than what I remembered as a child. :unsure: The meat for it has been marinating since Friday afternoon. (y)

What is everyone conjuring up today on their stoves, grills, smokers, griddles, campfires, dutch ovens or other type of gear ?????

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I am fortunate to have a bunch of legacy cast iron. It is some of my most prized possessions. With that said, I have some newer Lodge I've bought that I really like, too.

Gonna make up some Japanese hibachi on the Blackstone here tonight, I think.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
The smell of sauteing onions is one of my favorite things. even better with some green peppers in there. :cheers:

Longhorn 16

Planning on Ribeyes tonight. After seeing Dubs onion above I going to add some onions and mushrooms to the list. Wedge salad with bacon and blue cheese to start the meal. Grilled okra with the steak.

Reactions: Dub

Dub

I am fortunate to have a bunch of legacy cast iron. It is some of my most prized possessions. With that said, I have some newer Lodge I've bought that I really like, too.

Gonna make up some Japanese hibachi on the Blackstone here tonight, I think.

Hibachi food is sounding great already. Love that type of fare.

The smell of sauteing onions is one of my favorite things. even better with some green peppers in there. :cheers:

Agreed....this got the house up and stirring this morning.

Vidalia & bellas. Added some jalapeños directly in the omelets.

Planning on Ribeyes tonight. After seeing Dubs onion above I going to add some onions and mushrooms to the list. Wedge salad with bacon and blue cheese to start the meal. Grilled okra with the steak.

If this is wrong.....I don't wanna do right. :)

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Goodness.

ambush80

Hibachi food is sounding great already. Love that type of fare.

Agreed....this got the house up and stirring this morning.

Vidalia & bellas. Added some jalapeños directly in the omelets.

If this is wrong.....I don't wanna do right. :)

Yum. I've been away from the omelette too long.

We're going to Dim Sum (dim sum goot chiken foots!) for my Mom's B-day and my hunting buddy invited us for deer tacos for dinner. I guess I don't have to cook!!

GA1dad

Wow Dub,, the smell of onions cooking is a fine way to start the day for sure!!!

I ran across a flat of ribeyes on sale. I reckon everyone here knows what magic is happening in this picture. Looking forward to dinner tonight!!!

20180819_122849.jpg

Dub

Wow Dub,, the smell of onions cooking is a fine way to start the day for sure!!!

I ran across a flat of ribeyes on sale. I reckon everyone here knows what magic is happening in this picture. Looking forward to dinner tonight!!!

View attachment 940458

That's what I'm talking about right there !!!!

Man....it's been too long since I've had a good steak. Looking forward to seeing yers hit the grates & plates. Looks like you have the magic happening with them already.

Longhorn 16

Dub check out the LeCreuset cast iron. The wife bought several pieces for a new induction cook top. One of them is lined and works great with eggs. It is some pricey cast iron.

Dub

Dub check out the LeCreuset cast iron. The wife bought several pieces for a new induction cook top. One of them is lined and works great with eggs. It is some pricey cast iron.

Seen it.

It's some mighty fine looking stuff.

I was looking at it when I bought my last Dutch oven. I use a Dutch oven on the grill to cook pots of chili or homebrew marinara sauces. The acidity of such wold leave my old school cast iron Dutch oven looking ugly afterwards and I'd have to go through the reseasoning steps every time.

Bought a budge priced enameled Lodge cast iron Dutch oven that works great for these cooks. The enameling is fragile, though. I'm sure the LeCreuset is much better.

I'm wanting a smooth surfaced "standard" cast iron skillet to use for the lion's share of my indoor cooking. Something I can make a quick omelette on.....rinse it out, wipe it dry and leave on the stove.

A Stargazer or Field Co. skillet or two is likely in the future.

Tossing this non-stick junk in the garbage. Whatever they coat it with is likely flaking off and we have been ingesting it. :mad:

Absence makes the heart grow fonder! I've not been able to cook on my new grill in almost a month due to my father in law passing and us having to clean his house out ....( Hoarder)
But today.. Today.. I got this going for me!View attachment 940463

Heck yes......that's what smoking BBQ is all about.....taking the time to enjoy process and relax and wait for it.

Sounds like you deserved a nice break in the action.

Looking forward to seeing these bones absorb the flavors of the rub, smoke and time. Very cool that you'll be doing a head-to-head comparison on the rubs.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Blood got it going on!

Dub

Firing up the........stove.

Yup....indoors eats tonight.....no coals harmed.

Walking the tightrope live without a wire. Indoors & doing a first-time dish.....that my wife declared one of her "favorite-ist" eats from her childhood. Said her mom made it really good.

Sounds like it was a near weekly staple for them.

The versions I had weren't enjoyed by this dude. Thought it was bland....and gross looking.

We'll see.

I've hit enough homerun meals with my bride that I'm now bold enough to challenge some of her "favorite-ist" meals. :)

It may be an epic fail.....we will see. If nothing else, my dogs will eat well. :rofl:

Shicken has been soaking up some curry, roostershire, soy sauce, S&P and other goodness for two days in the fridge.

Chicken & Pastry.

Everyone in the pot and the lid on.

GA1dad

Absence makes the heart grow fonder! I've not been able to cook on my new grill in almost a month due to my father in law passing and us having to clean his house out ....( Hoarder)
But today.. Today.. I got this going for me!View attachment 940463

Dang Bubba!!!! Between the bones and the meatballs you are flat out eatin' good!!! Well done my friend!!

GA1dad

Everyone in the pot and the lid on.

So Sunday is gonna be a cast iron day huh? I can dig it!!

Good on you for swinging for the fence in honor of your bride,,, they like that kinda stuff!!!! I bet yours turns out mighty fine too!! It's good to branch out and try new stuff!!