Surf Fishing Jekyll

WalkinDead

Banned
Jekyll Island Pier's facebook page reports whiting, sheepshead, flounder, trout, redfish, and black drum being caught over the last week. I would think that the same would be true from the north beach minus the founder, sheepshead and black drum which are more structure oriented. Water temps have reached 68 degrees, so things should continue to improve as the temps rise and the fish make their way from the offshore reefs into the sounds and will have to pass by the north beach on their way inshore.

dirtnap

I was there this past weekend for a couple days, and for the first time in my life I fished off the beach at Jekyll without getting a bite, although admittedly I wasn’t exactly getting after it

BrileyDog

Looking at the weather and tide it should be good and with the water warming that’s even better. I’ll be on the north end myself at first light Saturday morning. Going to head from the pier to closer to the mouth of the sound. Had good luck there in the past. I’ll be targeting whiting, drum, reds, and any othergood eating fish that wants to bite a shrimp or cut finger mullet!! Caught some nice flounder around the creek to so I’ll try there too. I’ll just be walking and looking till I find them. Good luck to you. Going to try crabbing for the first time since I was a kid off the pier to in the late evening. Hope to catch some nice blues, I have had this craving for blue crabs cooked in old bay for weeks now..lol..Last time I was there people were catching some nice ones, I think they were about the only thing biting, but the water was still cold and dirty from the new tide. Good luck in the surf, I’ll be out there too!!

crumpet

Looking at the weather and tide it should be good and with the water warming that’s even better. I’ll be on the north end myself at first light Saturday morning. Going to head from the pier to closer to the mouth of the sound. Had good luck there in the past. I’ll be targeting whiting, drum, reds, and any othergood eating fish that wants to bite a shrimp or cut finger mullet!! Caught some nice flounder around the creek to so I’ll try there too. I’ll just be walking and looking till I find them. Good luck to you. Going to try crabbing for the first time since I was a kid off the pier to in the late evening. Hope to catch some nice blues, I have had this craving for blue crabs cooked in old bay for weeks now..lol..Last time I was there people were catching some nice ones, I think they were about the only thing biting, but the water was still cold and dirty from the new tide. Good luck in the surf, I’ll be out there too!!

crumpet

Let me know how you do. Ill be down for a week starting Sunday. First time to Jekyll. I have that same craving for some old bay blue crabs (I usually go to Edisto Island this time of year and the crabbing is okay...with this warmer water I think you should do very well) Best of luck

BrileyDog

Sorry about reporting so late, but I have been super busy!! Went to Jekyll this past Saturday and fished the north end down from the pier, almost to the mouth of the sound. The water was real nice and clean, and warm enough to wade out and cast and throw the cast net, but sadly to report I didn’t catch much. I only ended up with one decent size whiting in the cooler. Caught him on shrimp/ Fishbites combo. I did also catch a sheepshead that was to small to keep and a small toad fish on some cut mullet that I put back. Throwing the cast net around wading I cought a bunch of small bait fish and a couple of the biggest shrimp I have ever seen..lol.. they looked almost like small lobsters. I hope I can catch some like that when shrimp season comes in this year!! Went to the pier on St Simons late that evening and put out my three crab baskets with some small mullet zip tied to the bottom and to my suprize for the first time doing caught a lot of big blue crabs. Caught a lot with sponges that I threw back also. Those crabs were really liking the mullet. I also caught 2 horse shoe crabs in the same basket, how they both fit into the basket is still amazing..lol.. they felt like i was pulling up a concrete block..lol.. all and all it was a great time, but I wish the fishing would have been better. Hope this helps some!! Y’all have a Great Easter!!

Tlew945

Went to Jekyll yesterday. Fished near the soccer field. The Whiting bite was good caught 19 and a few small bonnethead using squid. Really licking up from what it was 3 weeks ago
Was thinking about heading to the North end of Jekyll Saturday. Has anyone had any luck yet in the surf?