Suspect in disturbance at Missouri Walmart says he was testing 2nd Amendment rights

gunnurse

What’s that about play stupid games again? Oh, now I remember. Was it technically legal? Probably. Was it smart? No. Would it have been easy to pass the “I was in fear for my life” test? Most certainly, at least for me. Kudos to the armed citizen for utilizing restraint.

Oldstick

There's the quandary we are facing now. I doubt there are very many responsible and safe gun owners who would argue against that idiot's rights being "infringed" upon permanently. Responding officers said he should consider himself lucky he walked out alive.

Somebody's got to ask, so other than being STOOPID what Law did he break? How is open carrying any of the weapons on him become "making terroristic threats" in an open carry State?

Yes, it was absolutely foolish, but I'm asking about the legality based on the Law there in MO. Is that particular Walmart a NO Gun Zone? I didn't see anything in the article about it.

"Since January 2017, Missouri has not required a permit to openly or conceal carry a firearm for those 19 years or older."

"Roughly 30 states allow the open carrying of handguns and rifles and shotguns in public without a permit."

GoldDot40

I haven't read/heard anywhere that this kid verbally threatened anyone, pointed his weapon at anyone or made any such gestures. Is simply "looking" intimidating a crime? I agree...poor timing, but from technical legal terms...did he break any laws?

He’s stupid for hanging his “business” out for all to see. I keep my “business” hidden away and you’ll never know I have it.

We've already established that due to the timing and his decision to do so, but look at all the outcry here as soon as the mass shooting occurred at the El Paso Walmart and everyone speaking out against ANY further infringing on gun laws and the full spectrum of the 2A.

The point of my post is, If he was entirely within his legal limits to open carry as he did, WHY is he charged with making Terroristic threats by simply exercising his right to open carry?

BobbyG

USELESS BobbyG
We've already established that due to the timing and his decision to do so, but look at all the outcry here as soon as the mass shooting occurred at the El Paso Walmart and everyone speaking out against ANY further infringing on gun laws and the full spectrum of the 2A.

The point of my post is, If he was entirely within his legal limits to open carry as he did, WHY is he charged with making Terroristic threats by simply exercising his right to open carry?
Amen. And why isn’t the the off-duty fireman charged with assault with a deadly weapon? You can’t just go pointing a firearm at somebody who is simply exercising his 2A rights.

This guy went out of his way to look like an active shooter about to do a public massacre at that store. He was wearing all military clothing, external body armor or plate carrier, A belt full of magazines and a holstered handgun in addition to carrying what looked like an assault rifle.

He knew he would trick people into thinking he was a mass-murderer, and that's why he had his camera-phone video recording their reactions to him.

I think the right crime to charge him with would probably be "disturbing the peace" or "creating a public disturbance" or something like "causing a false report of an emergency."

Somebody's got to ask, so other than being STOOPID what Law did he break? How is open carrying any of the weapons on him become "making terroristic threats" in an open carry State?

Yes, it was absolutely foolish, but I'm asking about the legality based on the Law there in MO. Is that particular Walmart a NO Gun Zone? I didn't see anything in the article about it.

"Since January 2017, Missouri has not required a permit to openly or conceal carry a firearm for those 19 years or older."

"Roughly 30 states allow the open carrying of handguns and rifles and shotguns in public without a permit."
The only thing I heard that could rise to terrorist threats, if true, was that he asked a clerk if they had anything that would kill 200 people. If true, he is toast.

They have charged him with a class 2 terrorist act because his actions caused the evacuation of the business. That sounds like a reach.

I've not heard one report of his deploying his weapon in a threatening manner, only that he was decked out like a soldier. When confronted leaving by an emergency door, he reportedly offered no resistance.

Otherwise, seems that the best they got is trespassing, if Walmart has a sign stating no weapons allowed.

Stupid isn't a crime.

. . .

I've not heard one report of his deploying his weapon in a threatening manner, only that he was decked out like a soldier. When confronted leaving by an emergency door, he reportedly offered no resistance.

Otherwise, seems that the best they got is trespassing, if Walmart has a sign stating no weapons allowed.

Stupid isn't a crime.
Only if they asked him to leave and he didn't.

dwhee87

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN MOD
Staff member
The guy is a dimwit inciting fear and hate at an unsettled time.
I agree, disturbance and trespass may be his “crimes.”