Suspect in disturbance at Missouri Walmart says he was testing 2nd Amendment rights

I support everybody's right to be armed. But in the current climate of continuous mass shootings, a stunt like that is idiotic and in very poor taste. The guy is an idiot at the least, and probably not very mentally stable. Who knows what his original intent was?

MudDucker

Staff member
Except in almost evry state besides Georgia, if a business has a no weapons sign posted and you walk in there with a weapon, you are charged with a crime and you lose your CCP or pay a huge fine. They don't have to ask you to leave first. The sign carries the weight of law.

Let me restate my response. If they asked him to leave and he didn't, that is both a civil and a criminal trespass.

If they have a sign saying no weapons and you enter with a weapon, that is a civil trespass.

Nearly all state's laws provide that it is not a criminal trespass unless you are asked and you refuse to leave.

Let me restate my response. If they asked him to leave and he didn't, that is both a civil and a criminal trespass.

If they have a sign saying no weapons and you enter with a weapon, that is a civil trespass.

Nearly all state's laws provide that it is not a criminal trespass unless you are asked and you refuse to leave.
In most states I frequent, if you are armed and walk into a building with a "no weapons" sign posted, it's not trespass. It's a criminal offense of carrying a firearm into an area that is posted against carrying weapons. They don't have to ask you to leave, and "trespass" has absolutely nothing to do with the language of the law/statute. A no-weapons sign on private property carries the weight of law, and it is its own offense, not trespass like the Georgia law where the sign carries no legal weight. Georgia is the only state I know of that I ever go to where the no weapons sign doesn't carry the weight of law. It certainly does in NC, SC, and TN.

BobbyG

ANTI-AMERICAN
In my mind, a guy walking around with a gun(not in hand) in the open is legal. A guy while shooting or pointing his gun, or running, is not.

The people in El paso were just very unlucky and were confronted by a lunatic with a weapon with the intent to kill at random.
But isn’t the problem with that is that you don’t know who is a good guy with a gun until he starts firing? You can’t discern intent until it’s too late.

So would you agree with a law prohibiting carry of a long gun in public places?
Why is it an issue with long guns? Far more homicides with handguns than long guns. All of this is just knee jerk reaction still. You are far more likely to be killed in a car wreck than being a victim of a mass shooting with a long gun.

But isn’t the problem with that is that you don’t know who is a good guy with a gun until he starts firing? You can’t discern intent until it’s too late.
Not saying I couldn't be a victim in a situation such as what happened in El Paso, but I try to be as vigilant as possible when out and about in public. I look for things that don't appear normal or something that gives me a negative vibe at all times.

And I'm not paranoid, just aware of what kind of society we live in nowadays. Anything could happen anywhere when one is least expecting it.

BobbyG

ANTI-AMERICAN
Why is it an issue with long guns? Far more homicides with handguns than long guns. All of this is just knee jerk reaction still. You are far more likely to be killed in a car wreck than being a victim of a mass shooting with a long gun.
Maybe because the incident we are discussing involved a long gun? 🙄

BobbyG

ANTI-AMERICAN
Open carry is open carry. I'm talking about not advertising you are armed.
You are also evading the question. You seem to be saying it is understandable that open carry of long guns might lead to panic. So why wouldn’t you support a prohibition?

BobbyG

ANTI-AMERICAN
Not saying I couldn't be a victim in a situation such as what happened in El Paso, but I try to be as vigilant as possible when out and about in public. I look for things that don't appear normal or something that gives me a negative vibe at all times.

And I'm not paranoid, just aware of what kind of society we live in nowadays. Anything could happen anywhere when one is least expecting it.
But if you are uncomfortable with the idea of open carry of long guns in public places, how could you not understand people wanting it prohibited? I don’t want my wife, children and grandchildren to have to assess the probability of being gunned down every time they enter a Walmart. Is this really the kind of society we want to live in?

But if you are uncomfortable with the idea of open carry of long guns in public places, how could you not understand people wanting it prohibited? I don’t want my wife, children and grandchildren to have to assess the probability of being gunned down every time they enter a Walmart. Is this really the kind of society we want to live in?
Yes, it is the world we live in. People like you and Ridge Walker created this to be quote honest. Need me to explain?

MudDucker

Staff member
In most states I frequent, if you are armed and walk into a building with a "no weapons" sign posted, it's not trespass. It's a criminal offense of carrying a firearm into an area that is posted against carrying weapons. They don't have to ask you to leave, and "trespass" has absolutely nothing to do with the language of the law/statute. A no-weapons sign on private property carries the weight of law, and it is its own offense, not trespass like the Georgia law where the sign carries no legal weight. Georgia is the only state I know of that I ever go to where the no weapons sign doesn't carry the weight of law. It certainly does in NC, SC, and TN.
I will look into that, but in a seminar on gun rights about 2 years ago, the speaker stated what I stated and showed statutes and case law to back it up.

Also, I didn't say a sign didn't carry the weight of law ... civil actions are the law just like criminal.

MudDucker

Staff member
You are also evading the question. You seem to be saying it is understandable that open carry of long guns might lead to panic. So why wouldn’t you support a prohibition?
Because bed wetting doesn't lead to a prohibition of the bed. Your comfort level or anyone else's has no bearing on my rights.

My exact words were, “I’m no fan of some guy walking around in public with an AR, just because he has the right to do it, especially with body armor.

Not to mention the timing of the young man in MO. It was very bad timing to say the least.

If I saw law abiding citizens on a regular basis doing it, I’d probably be less uncomfortable. It doesn’t bother me now to see citizens open carrying handguns.