Syracuse arms 12 gauge twice barrel?

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Just found this relic in my late father in laws closet. Not much web information on it, other than its old.
It has considerable surface rust, not pitted, and hasn’t been cared for in quite some time. I’m not even sure if it’s safe to fire, I’m not going to try it, yet.
My question is, will steel wool to remove the rust devalue it’s worth, or would it be the same as completely restoring it? It’s not one of the higher grades and as best as I can tell this gun in perfect condition may be worth $5-600.00.
I was thinking of making it a project gun, since it’s not overly valuable.

Yes. Removing surface rust with steel wool will reduce the value of the firearm. If it was mine I would clean it up good if that's what I wanted to do, but steel wool will take off what bluing is left and that reduces overall condition percentage. If it is a valuable firearm you can only hurt the value taking the "patina" off. I see old doubles with shinny buffed steel and just cringe. Even a well done "complete restoration" diminishes the value of a collectible firearm.

bighonkinjeep

I would just use plenty of oil, add some time, and a good denim rag if its only surface rust. if at first you dont succeed then more oil, more time, more rag.
Steel wool has been known to leave behind tiny to microscopic bits of itself behind. Nothing rusts faster or easier than steel wool.
For really bad rust bordering scale I have used a stainless pot scrubber.
Just my .02

Clemson

0000 steel wool and gun oil won't remove the blue. Use that on the rust.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I recently used the penny (pre 1982) method on a shotgun for an old friend and was very successful. I used shotgun barrel honing oil as my lubricant. I think one of the keys is a soon as you looen the rust to wipe it off...it is like sand paper on the bluing when you rub it. When I was done I had just about rubbed the monument off of the back :). I may have even posted the results here.

found the pictures
IMG_2279.jpgIMG_2280.jpgIMG_2281.jpg

slow and easy with this finished resultIMG_2284.jpg
IMG_2292.jpgIMG_2293.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
0000 steel wool and gun oil won't remove the blue. Use that on the rust.
I recently used the penny (pre 1982) method on a shotgun for an old friend and was very successful. I used shotgun barrel honing oil as my lubricant. I think one of the keys is a soon as you looen the rust to wipe it off...it is like sand paper on the bluing when you rub it. When I was done I had just about rubbed the monument off of the back :). I may have even posted the results here.
This and this just take your time and use little pressure not alot.
0000 mandatory if using steel on a blue.
Light buffing not heavy at all.
If that devalued your gun and the rust before it didn’t then you can shoot me with it if your not happy when your done. As jester said wipe away the rust “as you go” with oil. Don’t rub all the rust “in” from one spot to another.
Wipe it gone as you go with a separate clean oiled paper towel. RustBGone!
Copper is softer than steel.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Just did my dad’s old colt pistol again with the pennys edge.
Ain’t for sale so don’t matter what someone else thinks its worth.
Its priceless to me.
Who knew it was drilled all 22mag?
I guess he done em all when I asked him to 30 years ago. Been hunting with 2 mags and the rest LR all season. Funny soon as I buy a new box of 22hp the mags all start sliding in smooth. My brother got a hold of it and didn’t oil it for a couple years. Now it’s back! Look out fox squirrel I’m coming for ya. :shoot: ?

hdgapeach

The only "wool" option to use on a rusty firearm would be REAL copper wool. You just got to make sure it's pure copper and not the easy to find (and plentiful) steel wool that's coated with copper. That coated stuff ain't worth a flip when it comes to using it on a blued firearm.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Thanks folks, I happened to be 3 in 1981.